Giants DE Osi Umenyiora Believes Plaxico Burress Can Have NFL Success Again

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Osi Umenyiora firmly believes former teammate Plaxico Burress can have the same success Michael Vick is having once he is released from prison. Umenyiora just hopes Burress makes his comeback with the Giants, who haven't been the same without their star receiver, according to the team's star defensive end. "If you look at our team before, when Plaxico was in, if you look after he's gone, even though we have had some success and even though we have played pretty well, it just hasn't been the same without him," Umenyiora said while making an appearance on "Jim Rome Is Burning." "He's a great guy; I hope he comes back." The Giants have missed the playoffs the past two seasons without Burress, who hasn't played since 2008 after accidentally shooting himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub. Umenyiora said he has visited Burress in prison, and the defensive end came away thinking the wide receiver is definitely ready to resume his career mentally and physically. "He's in great spirits," Umenyiora said. "He looks great. He is lean; he is in good shape. He's focused and he seems happy. I just can't wait for him to come out and I think he is going to have a great impact a la Michael Vick." Even though Burress hasn't played since that shooting Nov. 28, 2008, Umenyiora has no doubt that the 33-year-old wide receiver still has plenty left in the tank. "No question, the talent that he possesses, you just don't see players with that type of talent," Umenyiora said. "He hasn't taken a pounding for two years; his body is going to be fresh. He is going to be out there making plays the way he usually does. "All Eli has to do … well, whatever quarterback he goes to, all they have to do is throw him up the ball and he is going to make plays," added Umenyiora, who chuckled when he caught himself starting to mention Manning as Burress' quarterback.

Source: ESPN

2. giants need plax back desperately

3. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I'll take him, but we certainly do not need him.

4. He adds to the deep threat and he could catch the jump ball. Burress and Nicks on the first team would do wonders

5. SoDev

Agreed, it could be a sick combo, but that doesn't validate a desperate need.

6. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

No but the late season collapses,missing the playoffs, and Eli competing for most INTs thrown all do.

7. ehh, maybe desperately wasn't the right word. just so sick of Eli's interceptions, ya know

8. SoDev

Word. It was a tough year on a lot of fronts.