NFLPA Organizing A Draft Boycott With Top Prospects

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The NFL Players Association has contacted the top prospects in the 2011 NFL Draft and informed that, if invited, they should not attend the 2011 NFL Draft in New York City, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports. In a normal, less contentious draft season, a handful of prospects would attend the event and appear on stage with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, posing for photos wearing the hat and holding the jersey of the team that selected him. Ten players filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, with the draft and limits on rookie compensation two of the league's policies the players are taking issue with. Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller, a potential Top 5 pick who is sure to get an invitation from the NFL to attend the draft, is the only prospect listed as a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Screw the NFLPA

3. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Taking away a once in a lifetime moment for a young guy, over a deal that will be done eventually. I personally wouldn't blame them if they crossed the picket line, I know I would if I was a player and got the invite.

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Yeah that's dumb as heck I'd be pissed if the guy my team picked high wasn't there for it. If he's supposed to be an impact player, show up and make an impact on your fans.

5. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Yes because this is going to help the NFLPA in the court of public opinion. Do they not realize 8 million people watched the draft last year and that its now an event. Boycotting it does nothing but piss off a lot of those fans.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

The union is out of their mind... First of all, the college guys aren't in the union. Secondly, the NFLPA isn't a union...lol...

7. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

For a decertified group they sure do seem pretty organized and active. Cocksuckers

8. misfitz

they are not crossing the picket line they are not in the nfl yet until they sign a contract

9. misfitz

exactly this could come back to bite the NFLPA in their case against the NFL and it actually helps the NFL when they appeal the decertification and it will just make their case of the NFLPA not negotiating in good faith

10. I have a feeling Miller will be the only invitee that won't attend.

11. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

Whether it's right or wrong, and whether college players are in the union yet or not (even though it has been decertified) the college players will put themselves in a real tough spot if they cross their future union brothers. It would not surprise me a bit to see some of the top prospects not attend the draft. And lets not forget who started this mess, it wasnt the players...they are just using every bit of leverage they have.

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

this is such a desperate reach by the nflpa. maurice smith is in waaaaaaay over his polanco shaped head.

13. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

But it's cheap, it's low and they are just making themselves look petty. It reminds me of pre-schoolers telling each other they aren't going to their party.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Lol...polanco shaped head...

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah like these kids should listen to the nflpa - any chance of a huge payday is done and now you want them to boycott the draft and take away a once in a lifetime event ???

16. misfitz

u mean the same players that if they had gotten an invite would have jumped at the chance to be there and most of them did.

in fact the NFLPA is screwing them over with a rookie cap you saw them concede that it was needed and you saw how hard they fought 18 games Rookies dont mean crap to the union