NFL's Competition Committee Won't Implement "Calvin Johnson Rule"

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 14, 2011.

1. The NFL's Competition Committee has decided not to amend the current rules about maintaining possession throughout a catch. This rule exploded onto the scene in Week 1 when Calvin Johnson's apparent game-winning catch was overturned on replay. The committee has decided that changing the rule would be too hard to officiate. "The reason it's not a catch is you've got to control the ball when you hit the ground. It makes it easier to officiate. It's a bright line that you can draw," said committee member John Mara. The official on Johnson’s play had a perfect view of the call, and signaled a touchdown. The play was a clear catch to anyone watching the game, so it appears we're headed for another season of confusion.

Source: Pro Football Talk

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

We can't all be fortunate enough to have our team win by having a scrub trap a ball against his helmet, Mara.

Joke aside, I don't like this. That was a catch and no one will ever convince me otherwise, the rules should consider it so.

3. Evaporator

Evaporator Rookie

:agreed:

4. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

5. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

I think players know the rule and have to be smart enough on the field to be aware of the situation. It was a brainfart by Johnson imo.