Raiders FS Michael Huff Allowed To Test Free Agency

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by BigBlueBruiser, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Just as Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract will allow him to test the free-agent market, Oakland safety Michael Huff's contract is expected to allow him to do the same. A little-known rule prevented the Raiders from re-signing Huff as much as they would have liked to this past season, according to an NFL source. It is a rule that also affected far more players than Huff. Any player whose salary escalated at a higher rate than 30 percent from 2009 to 2010, as Huff's and other players' did, was precluded from signing a contract extension with his team, according to an NFL source. This is not the "30 percent" rule that prevented certain players' salaries from signing contract extensions that paid them more than 30 percent; this is a separate rule that prevented long-term deals for any player whose salary already escalated more than 30 percent from one year to the next.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

Wow, gonna have a ton of holes to fill... Without a 1st round pick.. This could be interesting.

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Almost a lock to be a Cowboy

4. UNLEASHthaBEAST

UNLEASHthaBEAST NFLPA Warlock Assassin

Huff was really inconsistent though. Definitely not as substantial a loss as Asomugha

5. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

They have a few safeties already don't they?

6. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Not gonna happen. His asking price is gonna be top dollar. And the Cowboys have one of the top salary totals in the league.

As much as I would love to see Huff come home to Texas it isn't plausible imo.. :(

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

no he wont ask top dollar, the dude was a bust until last year....almost a HARD bust for how terrible he was. he may want top dollar but the market wont be there for him

i would be willing to guarantee hes gonna be a cowboy

i mocked the raiders brandon harris and quinton carter....a CB and FS

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

He was definitely a hard bust until last year...no INTs his first...I wanna say 4 years off the top of my head, maybe 3, and he was benched a few times to boot. Totally ineffectual.

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Sorry, he had one in his first 3 seasons.

10. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

I really hope you are right. I would love to see him on our team next year. :beer:

11. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

It took him a while to adapt to the league I guess.

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

No it took him a while to get motivated...coincedentally, it was also the amount of time he was under contract for minus one year. You do the math.