My Analysis Of Cowboys Picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by Jihad Joe, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Round 1:Tyron Smith, OT, USC

The Good: Freak athlete (Can shadow CB's). Outstanding pass protector. Play's whistle to whiste and with a mean streak. Huge wingspan. Instant upgrade at RT. Can play LT down the line. Only 20

The Bad: A defensive pick made more sense (especially with elite players left). Raw, and needs to add strength. Not a great run blocker. Never started a game at LT.

My Take: 10 years ago I would have been pissed about taking a player like Smith that high, but in todays passing NFL and on a passing team, having two high quality bookend pass protectors is a huge asset

Rookie Role: Starting RT

Round 2: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina

The Good: Another athletic freak (reportedly has been timed at 4.39) excellent coverage LB. Ferocious hitter. Very aggressive player. ST monster

The Bad: Not a pure 3-4 ILB, any 3-4 scheme will have to be adjusted to him. Not confident in his ability to consistently shed blocks. Instincts arent great, has a tendency to over-pursue. could wind up another Ernie Simms

My Take: I like the pick, but would have rather got him in the third. Kinda boom or bust, but if he booms, he BOOMS

Rookie Role: NLB, Subpackage LB, even front LB. Reserve 3-4 LB. ST

Round 3: Demarco Murray, HB, Oklahoma

The Good: Blazing fast tough runner. Very good blocker and receiver (caught 70 pass's as a SR) Can return kicks. Good character guy

The Bad: Injury prone. Questionable vision. Runs high. Not a necessary pick

My Take: While the pick wasnt nessesary, he push's Barber out. I also think he is better then Jones and Choice

Rookie Role: Starter

Round 4: David Arkin, OG Missouri State

The Good: Athletic, OG prospect. Plays with a mean streak. Versatile, can play most spots on the line

The Bad:Small skool project. Needs alot of coaching particularly on technique. Will most likley be destroyed at OT in the NFL. Picked probobly a round too high, and with better OG's available

My Take: Potential future starter upgrades the youth on the OL. Not particularly happy with this pick, but all is good if it pans out

Rookie Role: Bench, mayyyyyyyyybe ST's

Round 5: Josh Thomas, CB Buffalo

The Good: great value at a need position (ESPN 72nd overall). A Ryan CB, very agressive and tenasious. Fast and a very willing tackler. Looks to make plays on the ball

The Bad: May only be good enough to be a sub package CB. Gambles with INT's and hits and can get beat. Takes bad angles at times

My Take: Could be another Scandrick type pick. Solid NCB in the later parts of the draft

Rookie Role: Possible Dime CB

Round 6: Dwayne Harris, WR East Carolina

The Good: Excellent value pick. Quick incredibly tough slot WR that has played HB as well at ECU. Plays the game with an attitude. Potential elite slot WR and steal

The Bad: Doesnt have elite speed and wont ever be an outside WR. Has some work to do on his hands and route running. Fumbles at times

My Take: Best pick of our draft, will push Ogletree off the roster. Wont be a huge part of the offense in 2011, but could be good for 15 catchs or so and take over the slot in 2012

Rookie Role: 4th/5th WR

Round 7 Shaun Chappas, FB Georiga

The Good: Good running/receiving FB. Play against a high level of comp. Pushes Gronkowski off the roster

The Bad: Drafting a FB. Marginal blocker. May just be a non terrible version of Gronkowski

My Take:Drafting a fullback = Whatever

Rookie Role: Fringe starter

Round 7: Bill Nagy, OC Wisconsin

The Good: Athletic OC prospect. May have some upside. Good deep sleeper so late in draft

The Bad: Wasnt a consistent starter in college

My Take:Not a bad pick so late. A guy who could become a sleeper with the right coach. If it doesnt pan out, whatever

Rookie Role: Push's Costa for roster spot. Possible PS guy

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Good analysis....I was upset by the rb pic but after swing the vids and reading that maybe he is more ofbthe Garrett type back them so be it.....I was still hoping thwybgot a cb/db burning geuess we know go after huff or asamugha

sent from my HTC EVO using tapatalk

3. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

So Carter is going to play ILB right? Is that Bradie James replacement? I hope as an ILB because I don't see Carter being able to play OLB in a 3-4.

4. Jihad Joe

Ya, he's going to play ILB. We are supposed to be more of a hyrbrid, so Ill think he"ll be a Will when we play with a 4 man line

5. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

As for Tyron Smith kind of sucked for him he had to play RT. But Matt Kalil is a beast I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 5 pick when he comes out.

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

wut

7. Jihad Joe

Dont hate

8. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Umfortunatly Smith and Murray both looked nasty on their reels and the consensus seems to be with you that both should be quality starters.

Be careful you don't get too drunk and mistake anything else they put in your face for a microphone. That 6 foot 6 dark skinned guy who's been eying you all night doesn't want you to just sing Angel of the Morning into it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  9. Jihad Joe

I think Murray will be so-so as a runner, more of a reciever. I think Jones will be the better runner, but Murray will be the starter because he can block and catch out of the backfield

10. Jihad Joe

Updated with Day 3

11. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I think the murrwy injury stuff is a bit over blown I read the Duse missed 4 games in four yrs..all at beganing of college career I heard that on his conference calk with media

sent from my HTC EVO using tapatalk

12. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

demarco murray and felix jones are damn near the same player....odd pick, i do like murray a ton in the 3rd round though

13. Jihad Joe

Murray is a much better receiver and blocker

14. Mr.Alligam

Mr.Alligam Rookie

I facepalmed when none of the talking heads on the ESPN draft coverage knew why Tyron Smith was the RT instead of LT.

Because Kalil is better, that's why...