Buccaneers A Perfect Fit For Free Agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Buccaneers' started by SRW, May 21, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The move would fly in the face of the team's philosophy of building through the draft and only nibbling in free agency, but team observers seem to be in agreement that signing free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha would make sense for the Buccaneers. Asomugha, through his publicity agency, has declined interview requests and has focused on his foundation's work during the lockout but there's little doubt, however, that he wants to play for a team that is poised to contend for the next few years. Aqib Talib is facing charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and it's possible he'll be released or at least suspended before the season. CB Ronde Barber is still a very solid player, but he's only under contract through '11 and even if Talib returns, with Asomugha in the fold, sources familiar with Barber say he would accept a nickel-back role with Asomugha and Talib on the outside. Diving into free agency to sign Asomugha would be a departure from the Bucs' standard mode of operation, but the move certainly would be justifiable and bolster a defense that will face the high-powered passing attacks of the Saints and Falcons two times apiece.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

WOW. I have been secretly hoping the Bucs would set their sites on him. Nnamdi, Barber, and maybe Talib in the secondary, along with our young front four.....Nasty.

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Barber's gotta be pushing 40. It amazes me how he still plays like he does. Eventually he's going to have a crap season.

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

He's 36.

5. Steve12

It just seems like he's been around forever.

6. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Cause he's that damn good!:icon_cheesygrin:

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Would be a real nice addition to the young team...

8. Steve12

That's probably true. I bet he's glad he played CB instead of RB like his brother. Much better longevity.

And there's no team in the league that wouldn't benefit from Nnamdi. He's the best DB in the league.

9. Would sound really nice but probably a pipe dream......

The Glazers would never pour that much money into one player in free agency.

10. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Are the Bucs still running a Tampa 2? If they are they are going to waste his best skill, bump and cover.

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

<Insert any team name> a perfect fit for Nnamdi Asomugha.

12. Paintballer8791

Paintballer8791 Paintballer For Life

2 words, Albert Haynesworth.

13. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

I don't see the Bucs spending like that.