Roger Goodell Explains Decision To Fine Troy Polamalu For Cell Call‎

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by SRW, Oct 27, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Eyebrows were raised last week when the NFL fined Steelers safety Troy Polamalu $10,000 for using a cell phone on the sidelines after suffering a head injury against the Jaguars. Polamalu explained he called his wife to ease her mind, given his history of concussions. That wasn't a good enough reason for the league to bend the rules, despite the objections of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke about the decision Wednesday during an appearance on "On the Record w/ Greta Van Susteren." "Well, I think it's always a problem trying to have a rule that applies to everybody," Goodell said, via CBSSports.com. "Troy's a wonderful young man and there was concern about his health and there are ways of us getting word to families when there is an injury, and to make sure they understand that the player is OK. But we also don't want to have all our players using phones on the sidelines for texting." As cold as that could be perceived, it's understandable the league was unwilling to set a precedent with this case. "When someone's injured and you're family, you want to speak to the individual. And you want to hear their voice. You want to make sure they're OK," Goodell said. "And that's something that probably could've happened by taking him off the field and allowing him access to be able to call his wife."

Source: NFL.com

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Oh bullcrap, you cocksucker. Don't try to play the innocent little kid in the corner who was doing as he was told.

Listen, if I want to call my wife or mother to tell them I'm ok, Imma do it. Now if I "tweet" something then fine my butt off. This is beyond goobered.

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

he is singlehandly destroying the game of professional football. That will be his legacy. The man who pussified the NFL.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

One of the rare occassions, I'm with Godell :bad:

If there is a rule, that says no cell phones on the sideline, then Polamalu broke it. If he wanted his wife to get the information, that he's allright, a staff member sure had could done it.

5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

on that point yes I agree with him. Freaking Joe Horn really hecked things up but he is legislating defense out of the game.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Should Troy be fined? According to the rules...yes. Is it a dumb rule for what Troy did...yes. $10,000 is a bit excessive...maybe, MAYBE half that but probably $2500 is more realistic in the bullcrap fine kind of way...lol.

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

its just funny how pro concussion safety roger is and how hes all about the safety of the players....but troy gets knocked in the head and gets fined for calling his wife about it.

really if he wanted to limit the uproar from this, he should have just fined harrison for troy using his phone

1 person likes this.
  8. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

Can we tar and feather Roger Godell and throw him in Parts Unknown and never see him again?

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

You'd probably be fined for it...

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Most people here know how I feel about Goodell and his dealings, but Troy isn't above the rules, he knew them and chose to ignore it, heck him...glad he got fined. His wife has been with him long enough to also know the rules, anyone on staff as Olly said could have called and given her the information and telling her again that Troy is on the field and isn't allowed to use a cell.

11. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

He would be eatin by The Ultimate Warrior.

12. Fish

Fish I'm glad I came!

What I don't understand... Jeremy Maclin gets laid out by the Atlanta defense guy, the Atlanta dude gets a $40k fine, reduced to $25k. But making a call on a cell phone! And Godell says, I have to draw the line somewhere?!?!? What an ass!