New Astros Owner Mulls Name Change

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

New Houston Astros owner Jim Crane is considering changing the name of the franchise as well as its uniforms.Crane said Monday the team will conduct a study to decide whether or not to switch the name."We're going to study the information both from the fans and from all sorts of marketing people," Crane said. "I'm not saying we're going to change. We haven't made the decision yet whether we're going to change."The team was established in 1962 as the Colt .45s and has been called the Astros since 1965 when it was changed to coincide with the move to the Astrodome.Crane said switching uniforms is something they are "highly considering." Any changes wouldn't happen until 2013 when Houston makes the move from the National League to the American League."We had the Colt .45s and everybody liked that one," Crane said. "So you can imagine how upset they were when we switched that. What you get when you look at the fan base is the older we get and I'm old, you don't like to change. But the younger fans are very receptive to change and the older ones aren't, so that's what we saw with the American League."

Source: ESPN

2. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

I get the feeling he 's not going to be a popular owner.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree DKM...

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

no need to change the name. they were actually named for the nasa connection which the turf and stadium were also named after.

its a great name IMO. worry about the roster more.

5. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

i agree they should be worried about winning more games

6. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

Not in favor of the name change... I don't even like the move to the AL.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't like it either...the change or the move...

8. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

If they go back to the Colt .45's I support it.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

because why ?

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

I could support the Colt .45s more so than anything else, but Astros should be the name that stays.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

so, they're changing leagues and possibly changing name and uniforms ............. well, at least they are trying to make some changes to improve.

12. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston ¡Vamos Houston!

Most ppl are pissed about this, a few of us see it only as a way to get ppl talking about the Astros.
    The fan base is huge but not very passionate like Rockets ,Texans or Dynamo fan bases.

I would support the name change to Colt.45s but with the way the PC police are ,that wouldn't fly.
    If anything change the colors and logo (another thing ppl are pissed about).
    If you don't already know one of the biggest prison gangs in Texas goes by the name Tango Blast or HOUSTONE.
    Many memebers wear the Astros logo and it's common to see folks "blasting".
    friends and family have those logos tatted and I can see them getting pissed about that.
    I like the fact that the franchise is moving to the AL, for one Minute maid is not a pitchers park like the old Astrodome, so that DH will come in handy.
    Second what real history does the team have? Used to be a big rivalry with the Dodgers and Phillies but now they get whipped on by the Cards and the Brewers.

I love to hate Dallas in everything and this move will make a rivalry between the Astros and the Rangers legit, not just for the Silver Boot (interleague Texas Trophy).

13. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

No sir. The younger people are more willing to change? I hate change. Always have, especially in sports.

14. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good NO Choice...

16. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

No way in hell would the dried cum stain we call society would let them adopt the .45s. "we" made the washington bullets change their name....you member dont cha?

17. Dragonite

I remember, I also am pissed about that decision. Screw this society....

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

the irony is that the bullets were forced to change their name eventhough the name had zero to do with guns and yet the redskins still carry a racist term as their moniker.

19. Dragonite

And the Indians a racist logo...lol.