Chiefs NT Dontari Poe Reportedly Has 'A Ways To Go'

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by Sweets, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel has tried to downplay expectations for rookie nose tackle Dontari Poe, the Chiefs first-round draft pick, Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports. Crennel put that in his strongest terms yet on Wednesday when asked what Poe needs to improve on in order to get more playing time. “A lot,†Crennel said. “He needs to work on technique, he needs to work on understanding the system, he needs to get the calls correct all the time. He’s got a ways to go.†Anthony Toribio, who spent all of last season on the practice squad, remains as the starting nose tackle ahead of Poe on the depth chart. Poe enters the lineup on obvious passing downs when the Chiefs use their nickel defense. Poe acknowledged the difficulty of adjusting to the NFL game. “It’s all different,†he said. “The technique of it, there’s nothing the same about the college level. The only thing the same is that it’s football. As far as the speed level and the strength and all that, you’ve got to learn it all over again. “I still have a ways to go but I’m getting better every day. I’m just trying to do what I can, trying to do everything they teach me.â€

Source: The Redzone

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

He is built better for a Nagta role not a NT role, hopefully Crennel realizes that.

3. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

crennell is a brilliant defensive coach...im sure he'll find a role for him. by all reports poe is working his butt of learning

4. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

The thing with Poe is that as he is essentially fresh clay. Therefore, with his outstanding physical tools that he possesses and Crennel's expertise and experience on defence, you would expect that there is a good chance that Dontari could become either sometime down the line.

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Guys, I know that, but using him as a true NT is wasting what he could really bring to the party. Almost like Haynesworth in Tennessee, you know when he actually gave a crap.

6. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

im sure they will work him in on every down and package we have.

7. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

True. However he is immovable in 2 Gap at this stage. He can be an immediate contributor as a run stuffing, pocket pushing 2 Gap NT

Ultimately he will be best in a Ngata role, but his technique in a one gap role is absolutely horrible right. He really needs two years of coaching to really thrive in that role

He is gonna be a beast though

Sent from my HTC Vivid