Browns Cancel Recognition Of Art Modell's Passing At Request Of Modell Family

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Browns will not be publicly recognizing Art Modell's passing during their pre-game activities at Cleveland Browns Stadium tomorrow afterall.

Browns President Mike Holmgren reached out to Modell's son David and said 'we want to do the right thing by the Modell family,'' according to Ravens spokesman Kevin Byrne.

"David told Mike that he really appreciated the call and the offer, but that he knew it would not be totally accepted by the Cleveland fans,'' Byrne said.

"David suggested that the Browns not do a tribute.''

The Browns received a backlash from angry fans when they announced Friday that they would have an "appropriate recognition'' at the Stadium Sunday before their opener against the Eagles.

Modell, owner of the Browns from 1961 to 1995, died Thursday morning of natural causes at the age of 87. He had been suffering from congestive heart failure and other serious ailments.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

lol...seriously?

3. flexnfx

flexnfx flexnfx

I'm sure Baltimore wouldn't honor Robert Irsay either. From a human standpoint, death is sad, but as a football fan, this guy stole your team and you've been left with Browns 2.0; not the real ones.

4. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

people are freaking trash.

5. Mr. D

Mr. D WINNING!!

Stay Classy Cleveland

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Whatever, if you were in this situation act like some of the fans of all your teams wouldn't act poorly and hold a grudge.

I said in the other thread that this would make sense and here you go, it's better to move past it as quickly and smoothly as possible. The best way to respect him in Cleveland is to minimize the disrespect that'll come from some and not make a spectacle of it.

7. Mr. D

Mr. D WINNING!!

I hate and Loath Mike Brown, he's ten times worse than Model ever would be

but I would never wish him death, I wouldn't oppose him being remembered either

8. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

This butt promised not to move the team and then did. I hope maggots are eating his genitals now.

9. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[​IMG]

10. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I lived in Cleveland since I was born and was raised to hate this man. I may not be a Browns fan but I never understood the hate. He moved the team. Cleveland got it back.

That was years ago...get over it and move on, he died. He deserves respect not hatred. I don't care what he did. He's dead now the Browns fans reaction to all of this is rather out of line honestly.

11. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

1: they didnt get the team back, they were given a different one and that's not the same thing. The Ravens should have been the expansion team.

2- I've said it plenty already but putting this on Cleveland fans being crapty buttholes is goobered. If put in the same scenario there would be some (read some, not all) fans of any and every team in the NFL acting in a similar manner if it happened to them.