Bears To The SuperBowl?

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by groenator, Sep 6, 2012.

1. groenator

groenator Rookie

Being a Bears fan you always wonder each season if Bears will be on the super bowl or at least win the league. So looking at the new offense and defense of the Bears this season, does any of you believe that Bears will play the super bowl or win the league?

I personally believe that we will win the league and the team is stronger and more reliable this year than a year before. Super Bowl is a bit to far and not to mention that there's a few strong teams within the NFL, such as 49ers, Texans, Philadelphia, Packers, Ravens....etc....

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

My thoughts are it's a new season. I believe the Bears are still not getting the respect nationally as teams like the Packers and 49ers. I also believe fans of other teams are underestimating what the Bears did in the offseason. Did Phil Emery fix every possible problem on this Bears team? NO but you got to look at the good that was done for this team in the offseason. Trading for the likes of Brandon Marshall, drafting Alshon Jeffery, getting a new deal done with Matt Forte just to name a few. IF the o-line can keep Jay Cutler healthy, I think the sky is the limit for the offense this year. I think the Bears have an excellent shot at playing in New Orleans at the end of the season.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Tough to give the Bears the respect when they've continually ignored critical areas that have rubber stamped each season thru the years with limited success.

Emery has done well for his limited time tho Rome wasn't built in a day. These issues have been festering for literal years & the once strong areas have weakened without any back up plans.

Plus: brought in some proven/some good size at receiver. That alone adds 70% to Cutler's game. However, we're still with a patch quilt OL that's one blown assignment away from "Hello Jason Campbell". That drop off would be severe no matter how well Campbell performed.

That OL also holds the cards on how well Forte/Bush can produce. No holes means we live thru the air & with that sporadic pass protection, more major risk & less time for plays to develop. We're not that good, even on paper, to be a successful pass happy offense, We desperately need the mix/play action/screens/roll-outs/etc. to keep Ds guessing.

Defensively, we're less than we ever were. #54 is nearing the end with no heir in sight. Briggs can carry this load only so much longer. Roach is passable for the most part.

This DL is Peppers....then a JV squad. No pressure, 'cept by Peppers. Teams learned long ago how to work around him. Forget the prize at the bottom of the cereal box the Bears think they have in McCLellin. Another 'tweener that smacks more of a front office afraid of pulling the trigger on a set player, instead going for one who can play 'some' of more than one position. Fresh bodies shuffling in is great but if they can't put pressure on the QB consistently, all we'll see is that shaky secondary.

Peanut seems like he's aged 100 years since last year tho I don't blame him. He's been an unheralded stud back there forever. Jennings is a 'nice' journeyman type who's too short to be as disruptive as we need. Major Wright has been sporadic at best, Conte also has a lot to learn.

Once again, it's a long season & the Bears like to load up with versatile type athletes that excel on STs. Just like that last trip to the SB against the Colts. All the Stars aligned, we didn't bull rush our way thru. The Bears wait to see not only how we play but what condition the opponents are in at the end. That's where the versatility of STs & ST players who need to fill in late season.

Throw in LS isn't the best game/time manager around & it could be 'bar the door, Katy'.

But who knows? Maybe we'll do a lot better than most expect but IMO, the holes are still there even if the brighter outlook hides them a bit...

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I think they are working in the right direction but, to me, they have ignored the offense for too long and the defense is not what it used to be. Unless they go through free agency to fill the most pressing needs it will take a couple of years. The defense is not getting any younger and the offense has a lot of catching up to do. I think Cutler is the right qb and they finally got him a receiver that can compete. I just think the defense is too far depleted to really compete in the division much less in the NFC. But who knows? With injuries and whatnot anything can happen. Good luck. Somehow the league is better off when the Bears are at least competitive.

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I certainly hope not.

6. Buck Fenson

7. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

1. That O-Line needs to get a whole lot better and fast for Super Bowl dreams to come to reality
    2. Those key defenders that are long in the tooth have to hold up.
    3. Jay Cutler's bromance with Brandon Marshall better work out. Marhsall's one missed prescription away from his next incident.

8. Buck Fenson

No way they are going to the Super Bowl this year unless they buy tickets. We will be playing in our home stadium.

9. DenBronx

DenBronx Rookie

How can you tell after only one regular season game?

10. Buck Fenson

i can 't.

11. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

Well after this game against the Packers its pretty clear that their O-line cannot protect Cutler at all, he was getting flustered to not even have enough time to get rid of the ball. So i don't think they are SB contenders since their offense is struggling and your defense is getting up there in age.

12. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

im not getting down on the bears after one game i still think the cutler and marshall connection will be good this year. The packers D was just amazing last night well see how things play out.

13. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

I agree that the chemistry between Cutler and Marshall is great and they could do great things but if his O-line does not give him enough time to throw it then its a mute point. If you look at the game they were able to get to Cutler without having to blitz

14. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Yea part of it probably was that the coverage was so good so he had no where to go.

15. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

The Bears looked terrible last night and Cutler choked. Simple facts you hit Cutler several times a game and he gets rattled.

16. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

The same can be said of Tom Brady, honestly. But Brady has a line that doesn't get him sacked 40 times a year.

17. misfitz

Alex Smith has a line that got him sacked 44 times last year and 4 times last week and he went 20/26 for 211 yards 2 TDs 0 Ints

so next excuse?

18. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Smith isn't asked to carry a team on his back.
    next excuse?

19. misfitz

He was asked that in the Saints game and he did a perfect job of that.

Also Alex Smith carried the 49ers that game. His stat line for when the 49ers went up 22-7 was 17/23 192 yards 2 TD with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter(he attempted just 4 passes for the rest of the game)

This is too easy man.

20. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Yeah, RGIII, a rookie, just handled the Saints. :Loco:

You're right this is easy. Next excuse.