Packers Vs. Seahawks Final Play: NFL Statement Stands By Touchdown, Result Is Final

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The controversial final play of the Packers vs. Seahawks game on Monday Night Football—and corresponding reaction—prompted the NFL to issue a statement Tuesday.

It reads, in its entirety:

"In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final."

Source: Sporting News

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

heck you goodell

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Of course the result is final....DOHHHHHHH...I guess we also have replacement people working in the NFL's New York office too...

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

And it's only going to get worse...after all the replacements are this, they are all going to be afraid to make a call.

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Then call off the rest of the 2012 season...I'd rather watch nothing that this type of a debacle week after week, the NFL has officially told the NFL fans...FREAK YOU, we only want more money and the fans can suck eggs for all we care.

6. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Do they have replacements working here too?

7. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Of course they are going to support the decision if they said it was wrong it would have people asking to reverse the win to GB and turn into a bigger issue

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Yeah manning up and telling the truth is way worse than lying and covering up an obvious bad call...:rolleyes:

9. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

they admit the rarely called offensive pass interference which would mean the game is over yet the decision still stands

i really think this will cost the packers a playoff spot

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I'm so freaking done with this league yet

11. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

If the Packers lose out on the playoffs by 1 game I wouldn't be shocked to see legal action taken this off season or some players strike or something drastic. I'm actually afraid we're going to see these scabs the entire season.

12. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

did the packers get jobbed? yes would the regular refs do a more consistent job? yes, but i love how everyone is acting like this is the first 'blown' game by refs. the regular refs have blown many games through the years but the media is acting like this game is the end of the world as we know it.

13. This! Anyone remember the thanksgiving coin flip, vinny vs the seahawks not scoring at the goal line, rob lytle fumble in the playoffs vs the raiders, etc. Regular refs suck just as bad and imo are biased as a raiders fans. Funny how the raiders are the most penalized teams year after year now with the replacements we are in the bottom 3. Coincidence I think not. Im going to tell packers fans just like everyone told me after the snow job is you should have never put yourself in that situation. Tyrone Wheatley converts a 3rd and inches we don't punt and give the pats the ball back. Your offense should have picked up a first down and not played so conservatively. I believe they got hosed but its over with and let's move on.

14. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

But the refs had a couple opportunities to make the right call.
    You had one official signal TD, the other official didn't and referee just went along with the TD call.
    They should have stopped and talked it over at that point.
    Then they do the review, and the rules say a simultaneous catch in the endzone is reviewable, and they still failed to overturn it.
    And they totally ignore the PI on Golden Tate on the play.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  15. buffalobillsfan1

buffalobillsfan1 2nd String

It was a good call. Get over it. The ball was caught simultaneous and ties go to the offense.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Anyone hear Rodgers' comments today? Lol...

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not true Vince...but an expected comment coming from a third rate QB. You do know you can change your username...right? UnemployedFan1?

18. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

The bigger picture for me is that the replacements are consistently inconsistent. Yes the regular officials made mistakes, but not in the scope we have seen these first 3 weeks. It's time for Jerry Jones and the rest of the team owners to step up and find a solution with the regular officials and their union... Jerry you are not going to be able to bust the union. Sure people will watch in the short term, but I for one won't keep watching if this is the product.

19. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

Problem is this isn't the first questionable call they have made this season. Its just the biggest. And from what Ive seen so far its starting to get worse with each passing week. As you said the normal refs do make mistakes but the ones coming from the temp refs are mostly bonehead calls. They look lost to me at times. If they keep making stupid calls like this...its going to be a long season for every team unless they get the real refs back on the field. Hopefully this wont effect Green Bays playoff position.

20. Anyone else of the packers players acting unprofessional and crying in the media already? Their team has gotten under my skin since they got their ring. A lot if their players seem like pompous buttholes and act like their shot don't stink and make excuses when they lose ala the giants game last year