Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan Throws In Towel For 2012

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Sweets, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Just three weeks ago, the Washington Redskins had some playoff promise with rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III thriving right before a big matchup with the New York Giants. Three consecutive losses later in Washington, and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan already is looking to next season and beyond with his 3-6 team.

After their latest defeat, 21-13 at home to previously one-win Carolina, Shanahan told reporters Sunday the remainder of 2012 will become more of an evaluation process for next season.

“You lose a game like that, now you’re playing to see who obviously is going to be on your football team for years to come. I’ll get a chance to evaluate players and see where we’re at," Shanahan said. "We’re not out of it statistically, but now we find out what type of character we’ve got and how guys keep on fighting through the rest of the season."

The Redskins, however, still have several playoff-hungry veterans, such as inside linebacker London Fletcher—a one-time Super Bowl winner with the St. Louis Rams—who must be frustrated by their coach’s comments. Two such players told the Washington Post that Shanahan shouldn’t have gone public with waving the flag, but fellow linebacker Lorenzo Alexander went on record with the Post.

“You have a lot of guys that want to win now, people toward the end of their careers who have been here a long time, haven’t been to the playoffs in a long time,†Alexander told the Post. “Ultimately, that’s what you play for, to get to the Super Bowl.â€

Source: Sporting News

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

That's how I took his comments, too. Silly to say something like this, especially from a veteran coach like him.

3. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

i think he said it to fire up his squad.
    if he means actually throwing in the towel and rating players for the rest of the season bruce allen would be crazy to not replace him

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't think the best way to fire up your squad is to make it sound like the season is done for.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Lol...wut? That's not head coach speak. Listen to Shanahan and then listen to Pagano...lol...

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

shanahan has backtracked big time in subsequent quotes and said he wasn't throwing in the towel.

7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Does Shannahan suffer from dementia? He is a different coach now than years ago with Elway. Or maybe John covered up so many of Mike's mistakes that you just didn't notice. He sure does make some weird comments.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think when Shanahan arrived in Washington he was suffering from dementia. I can't recall exactly but wasn't there something else that he said off the wall last season?

9. Rex Grossman and John Beck were his QB's.

10. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Shanny had a HOF Bound QB, and a potential at the time HOF RB in Davis when he won two championships.

Now he has nothing, save a rookie QB with alot of talent.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

anyone else notice that the redskins have played REALLY well since these comments ................. did all of the players jobs just need to be threatened to motivate them?

i heard an ex-player, who played in the 80's and has remained in the nfl as an assistant coach since then, make a comment the other day that players in the league today (in general) are much different than 20 or 30 years ago and the things that motivate them are very different.

we live in different times for sure but good coaches need to adapt. maybe this is exactly what this team needed?