Chiefs Coach Romeo Crennel To Bench Players Who Fumble

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by Sweets, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Chiefs’ 29 turnovers (14 interceptions, 15 fumbles) are 10 more than any other team in the league, and coach Romeo Crennel said the first player to turn it over on Monday night at Pittsburgh likely will get a seat on the bench, Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star reports.

“I have to impart on them the importance of protecting the ball for this team,â€￾ Crennel said, “and sometimes to get that done, you basically have to threaten them. If you fumble it, I’m going to take you out of the game. And they will get the message.â€￾

“I’ll sit the receiver or I’ll sit the quarterback.â€￾

That doesn’t mean the player won’t return to the game at some point.

“Look, Jamaal Charles has fumbled the ball,â€￾ Crennel said of the Chiefs’ starting running back. “So if he fumbles, and he stands over there with me for a little bit, then I put him back in, because he’s the guy who runs for a touchdown.

“But I have to try to put an emphasis on it, so I’m going to try to emphasize it and get them to understand the importance.â€￾

Crennel cited a fumble by wide receiver Dwayne Bowe in last week’s loss at San Diego as an example of what will land a player on the bench. The Chiefs, trailing 7-0, had driven 16 plays on their first possession when Bowe caught a short pass from Cassel and gained 10 yards to the Chargers 23, and while he was fighting for extra yards, the ball was poked from his grasp and recovered by the Chargers.

“I emphasized a lot that week about protecting the football,â€￾ Crennel said. “That let me know that he’s trying to fight for yards, he’s trying to do too much rather than protect the ball.

“There’s a thin line you have to walk as a player … extra effort trying to get as much yards as you can, but protecting the football. When I tell them to protect the football at all costs, that means get both hands on it, and if I’ve caught the ball and gained yards, get down if I have to … if I fight for extra yards and lose the football, that doesn’t do much good.â€￾

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

hahahahaha, then back into the game after sitting out a play???? Grabbing at straws dude...

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

And what next? Cleaning the erasers after the game? Take yourself out of the game, Romeo.

Nice avi, [MENTION=521]Sweets[/MENTION].

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Thank you kind sir... ☺

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

[​IMG]
    ???????????

6. markaz

Fumbles it no matter where he is on the field or the bench.

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Oh, idk. I think it shows accountability and responsibility. Wish the Cowboys would do something like that.

8. markaz

It's embarrassing. Hell, they just gone done mocking Crennell on NFL Today on this "strategy". Just a ridiculous and childish thing to do.

9. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Desperation. Pioli has to go too though.

10. markaz

Fixed

11. Should take them out for a drive instead of one play but I like the strategy.