Phil Simms Says Giants QB Eli Manning Is A Champion, But He's Not Elite

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by SRW, Nov 13, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Phil Simms needs to make up his mind about Eli Manning.

Last summer, with Manning's second Super Bowl MVP trophy still fresh on the brain, the former Giants great said Manning and New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin were destined for the Hall of Fame.

On CBS Sports Network's "NFL Monday QB" -- hosted by NFL.com's own Adam Schein -- Simms was less laudatory when asked if the slumping Manning was elite.

"No, he is not one of the elites," Simms said, via the New York Daily News. "Because when I hear the word elite, I'm thinking about guys that can make unbelievable plays on the field by themselves. There are very few quarterbacks in that category.

"I always bring up Aaron Rodgers," Simms continued. "He is one of them. So yes, Eli has been a tremendous team player. He has been MVP of the Super Bowl twice. I know that. But the way I look at it, the answer is no."

Source: NFL.com

2. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Isn't being a champion achieving the most elite status of that particular league? Not only that but he has been the MVP is both of his championship wins, granted the QB always gets that award.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not true. Hines Ward. Santonio Holmes.

Eli is elite. He has two rings. Steps up when called upon. Has been playing crapty, but it happens.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Chuck howley got the MVP and he was on the losing team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Deion Branch won it.

Phil is just being a snitch because someone is stealing his thunder as giants quarterback.

6. KISSman

KISSman QB Expert

Oh, stop it already Phil. It's understandable that you are protective of your legacy and would want to be seen as better than the guys that come after you, but Eli is elite. He didn't stop being elite because he's a a couple of not-so-great games.

Crap -- Brett Farve could throw INTs like they were going out of style, won only one Superbowl and choked in several playoff games and no one questioned his elite ness. This whole 'Eli isn't elite' bullcrap has got to stop.

7. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

My thoughts exactly. Eli is very elite. Every QB goes through slumps from time to time.

8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

If there was a Mount Rushmore of QBs, Eli would not be on it.

9. No, but he would be the 5th choice most likely.

10. ragman

Don't you mean his brother?

11. No.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Manning.

12. ragman

There's room for only 4. so Eli's out.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Ragman you poor dumb bastard.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

The real list goes

1. Luck
    2.0 - Rodgers
    2.1 - Brees
    3. Griffin III
    4. Brady

There's your freaking Rushmore.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Screw Brady. Old News.

16. ragman

You obviously haven't seen Eli the last two weeks.

17. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

You obviously still didnt...you know what, heck it, never mind. :hb1: :tsk:

18. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

eli isn't, and never has been, a 'prolific' passer like marino or elway or peyton or rodgers.

however, i've been watching the nfl for 35 years, since i was a kid, and if i were coaching a team in a big game and needed one final drive to win the game, there are just a handful of qb's that i would trust to get the job done and Eli is on that list.

does that make a QB elite? being clutch? or is an elite QB one that is very prolific and throws the ball all over the field every game and puts up huge 'numbers'?

everyone's definition of 'elite' is different. personally, i think 'elite' should be reserved for those QB's who are both prolific AND clutch (Brady, Montana, Elway) so, in that case, Eli probably doesn't qualify.

19. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

5>4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

i think if the league wasnt so pass happy and didnt promote high scoring games... that eli wouldnt be in consideration for the elite status.

just a thought... maybe your not elite unless the way u play the game can with stand the test of time.