Chiefs Coach Crennel To Clamp Down On Teams' Dancing And Group Celebrations

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by Sweets, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Several Chiefs players, including captains Derrick Johnson and Eric Berry, were guilty of a group celebration against NFL rules in the third quarter of Monday night's overtime loss to the Steelers. They were celebrating an apparent fumble on a third down by Pittsburgh quarterback Byron Leftwich that Justin Houston returned for a touchdown that would have put the Chiefs ahead 17-10.

The play was ruled an incomplete pass instead after a video review, but the Chiefs penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct stood and the Steelers kept the ball with a fresh set of downs and the extra 15 yards.

Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports coach Romeo Crennel said he wasn’t sure whether playing on national TV caused the Chiefs to turn into entertainers as well as football players.

“I have no idea,†Crennel said. “It was a surprise to me to see some of those celebrations, per se. The rules are explicit about no celebrating, particularly group celebrations. You cannot have those. Our guys, they know the rules and they should not have done it. I will talk to my players about that, and I don’t expect it to happen again.â€

“We had some penalties that were really uncharacteristic of the guys on this team,†Crennel said. “They were celebrating and dancing and those kinds of things. With the record we have, we really can’t afford to be dancing or anything like that. Our focus should be on trying to play good football and trying to do everything to help the team win and not do things that cost the team field position and give a good opponent some momentum and those kinds of things."

“I do have a young team and I keep mentioning that all the time. Young guys do make young mistakes. We’re going to educate those guys about their actions … and then we’re going to eliminate it.â€

Source: The Redzone

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

"Young guys do make young mistakes." 22-27 year old men who are old enough to make the kind of dough they're making and that's the best you can do, Romeo? They're undisciplined and have no control. That's on you. Enjoy your last few games as an NFL head coach.

3. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

Exactly. Good coaches have this under control before an incident, not after.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

it's very obvious at this point that crennell has no idea what is going on with his team on any given day. his media sessions are freaking hilarious because he never knows the answers to half of the questions he is being asked about things going on with his players/play-calling/game situations ...............

i'm not sure how anyone can reach the pinnacle of his profession and just not give much effort. i'm guessing crennel is working about 20 hours a week and that crap don't fly in the big boy league.

5. Cletusaurus

Cletusaurus YES! YES! YES!

When you're 1-7, what the hell are you performing group celebrations for?

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

:qft:

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

^This.

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

My younger brother lives in KC and a die-hard Chiefs fan. Regardless of how bad they are, he watches and supports the organization. Said in an email last night that after the MNF game he will not even listen to the remainder of the games. Said he's never felt so embarrassed being a Chiefs fan. He thinks the MNF game was the nail in the coffin for both Pioli and Crennell. We'll see.

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, we'll see. clark hunt is somewhat of an absentee owner and if pioli is able to bring in another $20 mill in profit this season with their low payroll, clark, being a businessman first, may have a hard time doing anything to change that.

clark may not feel the need to pull the trigger until his profits start disappearing.

10. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

In other words, don't buy tickets, jerseys, or anything else that supports the business until it provides a quality product.