ESPN Suspends Rob Parker For RG3 Comments

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Ouch! I bet RGIII can't sleep at night. /sarcasm

Really guys.. Rob Parker was asking a question about what he thought he was. He didn't say he was an uncle Tom or say he was "white".. This racism stuff is just getting out of hand. People are so caught up in being politically correct that it makes everyone scared to say anything race related.

Don't take what I am saying as defending Rob, because I think this issue should of never even came up. But this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion for no reason.

2. Agent Zero

Racist!! :p

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I'm white! I'm the victim here!

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

It is getting blown out of proportion, mostly by those who are angry about what would happen if a white man had said these exact comments. Career would be over, death threats by every Twitterthug, plastered around the internet as a racist, blah blah blah.

5. Agent Zero

:laughy32:

I agree and believe me when I tell you the first thing I thought of was "what if Rob was white". It is reverse racism at its best.

Still think ESPN and all the twitterthugs are making more of this than it should be.

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It is completely blown out of proportion. Someone said something stupid and controversial!!! Fire him!!!!!!!

If a special interest group wants to use this to threaten ESPN by saying they will protest their sponsors, he'll probably be fired. This is why talk shows on radio are so tame. The voices of a few scream louder than the majority.

It's created a culture of fear to express your true thoughts and opinions. Another example of the pussification of this country.

7. Agent Zero

Well said sir!! Even though you are an Eagles fan, you are OK in my book. :icon_redface:

8. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

this is really tame compared to most of the stuff he has said. He is always making everything about race on that show. Why suspend him over this? I used to like that show way back in the day when it was woody and the other hecker but now it is toast. even got new mods on there. LOL the shark has been jumped. time to put a bullet in its head and let it twitch in its death throes.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

As a "guest" panelist on "The Sports Reporters", whenever he sits in I turn the channel. I like that show but refuse to listen to his opinions which invariably are racist in nature. I'm very much against violence, but I think Buck's idea has merit in that upon his demise the world would be a much better place.

10. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

I think y'all are missing the point: by questioning RGIII's "authenticity" he is essentially undermining decades of work by saying that black folks have to adhere to a certain way of speaking and behaving.

It's a subject that is brought up a lot in black communities, and to me, saying that RGIII has to act/talk/think a certain way just because he's black is absolutely ludicrous. I want this fool of television because of what he is trying to say we should be and while I know he doens't have bearings on my personal life, it's the philosophy of it and the fact that it's still a topic of discussion. It's downright disgusting and disrespectful to all the people who put in the work during the Civil Rights Era so that we DONT HAVE TO BE DEFINED BY SKIN COLOR.

11. DawkinsINT

I completely respect your stance and why it causes outrage amongst not only some of the black community, but many others.

At the same time, I don't believe that anyone expressing their own personal opinions, without committing a crime in doing so, should be muzzled.

I think people should be allowed to say whatever they truly feel no matter who it offends.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Oh Dawk... such a dreamer...

13. DawkinsINT

I'm a dreamer of more freedoms for sure, but I've also put myself into action with various protests against censorship. I've physically went to NYC to voice my opinion about allowing others to do so.

14. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I agree with you 100 per cent. People should act the way they want to, as long as it doesn't do harm to others. I am a 48 year old white guy who listens to rap, talk like a youngster. Be yourself. Too many people have suffered to get everyone to think in a forward position to be pigeonholed into acting a certain way according to your skin color.

15. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

I do too, just not on the airwaves. And especially not on ESPN, which is supposed to be an all sports network (it isn't, but if they're going to pretend...).

16. DawkinsINT

Wow. You want hidden speech, not freedom of it.

17. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

It seems to me that the more outlandish and incendiary folks are on that show, the better chance they have to be asked back. Exhibit A? Skip Bayless. Exhibit B? Stephen A. Smith.

18. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

he's not being muzzled. we, as a society, aren't ripping out his tongue, rendering him a mute. he's just potentially being fired from a job for being an offensive moron, which happens every day in every part of the world. he is still free to express his opinions all he wants, he just won't get paid to do it any longer.

well, and i salute you for recognizing censorship is a bad thing. however, this is NOT censorship. espn didn't edit out what he said. they broadcast it. and no one is suggesting he should be thrown in jail, thereby censoring future things that this idiot might say.

he is still a free man and able to say all the stupid crap he wants. he hasn't been censored.

19. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Getting a little derailed, so I started a new thread here: Censorship - GridironFans.com.

I'm reading some good stuff here and would like to see this continue

20. DawkinsINT

You took those quotes out of context. They were not just about this situation. Obviously I did not go to a rally over this. But I have a natural objection to individuals who want people to lose their jobs over what they say.