Whiz To Stay In AZ?

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by markaz, Dec 20, 2012.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

A lot of talk around town is that the GM (Rod Graves) will be the sacrificial offering at the end of the season and that Whiz may be "forced" to shake up the offensive coaching staff including his friend, Russ Grimm. Two problems I see here:

1. Keeping Whiz would mean the departure of Ray Horton to another team as Head Coach who I think is much more valuable asset to the Cards than Ken Whisenhunt.
    2. It is written in Whisenhunst's contract that he has complete control over the offensive coaching staff.

While retaining Whiz is not official, I really don't think Whiz is the important issue here. The Cards need to retain Ray Horton in any manner necessary. The players highly respect this man and his ability to game plan. To put it another way, I think Ken Whisenhunt is completely irrelevant to the Cards organization at this point. Between his inability to manage the QB position and personnel for the offensive line, he's had his shot at building 'his' team for the future and has monumentally failed. Should he stay the Cards will undoubtedly have a Top 5-10 draft slot for the foreseeable future.

And finally, for as much as I respect Larry Fitzgerald on and off the field, I wish he would just remain silent. He was the biggest and most vocal advocate for getting Kevin Kolb and lobbied hard for Michael Floyd in the first round of last year's draft. The Cards should have never given the farm for Kolb and a lot of quality O-Linemen were on the board at the time of Floyd's selection. Both decisions were just inexcusable. Now Fitz is supporting Whiz in the media. It's just time for Larry to concentrate on Larry and leave the opinions of personnel moves between his ears.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think Whiz is a terrible head coach...and I never really understood the infatuation with Ray Horton as a head coach. He wasn't that good a DB Coach in Pittsburgh and is he lighting the world on fire as a DC in Arizona?

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

...and as for Fitz...he does need to keep quiet...at the same time, the organization needs to stop listening to him...lol.

4. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

He's the highest paid guy in the organization, and nobody in the FO and coaching staff seems to have a clue. Might as well listen to him. :icon_cheesygrin:

5. markaz

That's real issue. They've just tried to keep him happy for fear of losing him.

6. markaz

Terrible...no. Not very good....yes.Whiz was only as good as his HOF QB and maybe the best WR trio in the NFL for a couple of years. Since then he has mismanaged the QB and offensive line positions. During his tenure in AZ he has drafted a grand total of six (6) offensive linemen in his 6 drafts. The result being the Achilles heel of the organization.
    Ray Horton has proven he is excellent in game planning, a key attribute for a head coach. Maybe he did stink it up in Pittsburgh, but he has evidently learned from his mistakes. Depending on his ability to select a quality coaching staff, IMO Ray Horton would be an excellent HC for this organization.

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

just like in philly,the cards need a break from a coaching staff that has worn out it's welcome! if they are really serious, they should go after cowher or sean peyton and give them the keys to the kingdom!

8. markaz

Good thought [MENTION=4032]Diesel44[/MENTION], but Crennel is gone is KC and I think the keys they would give Cowher would be gold plated.
    It's hard to describe how much the players like and respect Ray Horton. Still think he's the man although no HC experience. Would all depend on his ability to assemble a quality coaching staff. Fans are considered ignorant when it comes to football matters by the so-called experts, but the fans in Phoenix want Horton over any other potential candidate.

9. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Fear of losing Fitz??? His production went down the minute Kolb was signed and it hasn't gotten better since then...If Fitz feels the need to stay out of loyalty then it's on him, instead of yapping about who to bring in he should have been yapping about taking the next flight out of the desert....

10. WOODDRIVER

WOODDRIVER Team Veteran

Ray Horton has the Cardinals playing amazing defense, but nobody can be sure that he has what it takes to be a head coach. Remember Dave McGinnis? In an eerily similar scenario, the Cardinals promoted him from DC to head coach in 2000 and he compiled one of the worst winning percentages over the next three years of any head coach in NFL history!

As for the offensive line, those problems go WAY back before Whiz! Somebody in the scouting department CANNOT evaluate O-linemen. Whiz just doesn't prioritize drafting linemen because he beleives his buddy Grimm can take chicken s*** and make chicken salad, IMHO.

11. markaz

Remember those days like they were yesterday. Only things I remember about McGinnis was he was everybody's friend and his famous prevent defenses coughing up leads. IMO, there's no comparison between McGinnis and Horton, but that's all speculation.
    Why Grimm wasn't sacked years ago is beyond me other than he's Whiz's friend. I get jumped every time I mention Grimm being probably the most over-rated coach in the NFL, but good grief, I look at other NFL teams with 3rd round or higher players playing as a cohesive unit that can at least chip block.
    Maybe I'm overly confident in Horton, but the way he game plans and proven to take players projected to be so-so and make them standouts gives me a lot of confidence in him. Should the Bidwells move in another direction, I'm all for it. Whiz just has to go.

12. markaz

One of the few wishes in my life that was actually granted.......Whiz is no more.
    If Horton isn't elevated to HC I'll be surprised.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

I thought they might keep whiz, but force him to make some moves on staff.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Russ Grimm. Lol...

15. markaz

Russ Grimm....not LOL. More like COL. He's just got to be part of the departure package.

Thanks for inserting knife and twisting.