CBS Analyst Shannon Sharpe Says Bears QB Jay Cutler Is A 'Coach Killer'

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by SRW, Jan 6, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Bears general manager Phil Emery seems to be focusing his search for a replacement for Lovie Smith on a coach who can maximize quarterback Jay Cutler but some experts believe that person does not exist.

On CBS' ''NFL Today'' pre-game show Sunday, analyst Shannon Sharpe was the latest to imply that Cutler is more the problem than the solution. In fact, he said it outright:

''Jay Cutler, I do not believe he is a leader of men,'' Sharpe told the show's panel of James Brown, Bill Cowher and Dan Marino. ''He's a quarterback, not a leader. And there's a difference.''

''So you're saying he's a coach killer?'' Sharpe nodded in the affirmative.

That's a familiar refrain regarding Cutler. In fact, Cowher and Marino were critical of Cutler's leadership earlier this season, after Cutler shoved left tackle J'Marcus Webb in the Bears' 23-10 loss to the Packers on a Thursday night game at Lambeau Field in Week 2.

''I think it's a problem,'' Cowher said. ''The guy's got a strong arm. There is no question about it. He's had some protection issues. I know there's been some questionable [play] calling. But they brought players in to help this guy win a championship, and he's going to prove to be more accountable -- not sensationalize every little mistake with his antics and body language.

''Listen he's a good quarterback. But if he does not change his ways and the team does not go to the playoffs, they have to consider changing. He has to change.''

Source: Chicago Tribune

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

in some ways, he does remind me of someone like jeff george .......... all of the physical skills in the world but a piss poor attitude, which doesn't help motivate his team obviously.

3. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Talent and physical skills only get you so far.

4. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

5. Payton3434

Payton3434 Rookie

As a Bears fan I have to say...Jay Cutler is a class A butthole. I agree with Shannon Sharpe, as much as I can't stand him, but he's dead on. He is a quarterback but not a leader and there IS a difference. Favre was a leader, Montana was a leader, hell I'd even say Eli is a leader but Cutler just doesn't have that quality in his "game".

6. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

the bears gave up those draft picks hoping for a quick fix which really saved lovies job for a few more years

7. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

I'm always amazed at things like "some protection issues/some questionable [play] calling". :icon_smile:

Like there's no reason to make them too important in the scheme of things.

In a pure football sense, you don't want to do anything but put your QB in the position to win & the Bears have failed miserably for years.

"But they brought players in to help this guy win a championship: ???

Name them, Bill, & you'll need less than 1 hand to count them.

Making an issue about 1 shove to a lineman who should have been sat down for his piss poor play & the myriad of games he was forced to try & move the ball down a field late to get back into it with sub par players/plays & there you have it.

Room for the haters, not the comments from true football guys. Now to hear it cost Lovie his job is nothing short of irresponsible reporting from guys who don't even follow the team.

8. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Alex Smith is still better than him =P

9. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I can't stand Cutler but is he a coach killer? I think no. Injuries played a HUGE part of the Bears not making the playoffs this year. Lovie is not a bad coach at all. He will land on his feet somewhere else. Cutler's attitude leaves a lot to be desired but he can find his form again, just need an O-line to keep him upright.