A Dark Day For Cardinals Fans

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by WOODDRIVER, Mar 9, 2013.

1. WOODDRIVER

WOODDRIVER Team Veteran

The weather in Arizona yesterday was unusually cold, dark and gloomy. The winter storm which rolled into the state yesterday provided the perfect back-drop for my feelings as I drove home from work and heard the news on the radio that the Cardinals cut strong safety Adrian Wilson. Much like the storm, I knew the roster move was coming, but neither the weather nor the news made the commute any easier.

Wilson was, as usual, was nothing but classy as he spoke to Mike Jurecki and Dan Bickley (afternoon radio hosts on XTRA 910 am) as he spoke of how thankful he was to the Cardinals for giving him the opportunity to play for them. No sour grapes, no axes to grind, just a player with his future in doubt, hopeful that he can continue his playing career.

The Cardinals drafted Wilson in the third round of the 2001 NFL draft. At the time, the Cardinals were thinking that they needed depth to back up Pat Tillman. On this occasion, the Cardinals timing was perfect. The Cardinals have lost countless players to "better" teams in free-agency, but nobody could have predicted losing a player to the United States Army!

Players who feel snubbed by their lower than hoped draft positon often hold a grudge towards the teams that passed them up. Every other team in the NFL passed on drafting him...at least twice! Adrian dedicated himself to making every other team in the league regret their lack in judgement. Even if Tillman had returned to the Cardianals in 2002, Wilson would have seriously challenged him for the starting position.

Adrian Wilson rewarded the Cardinals for their good judgement with hard work, unwavering loyalty, and a simple commitment to make the team better than it was when he arrived. He became a feared hitter who had a unique talent to create havoc in the backfield. In his twelve years with the team he has compiled nearly 900 tackles and assists, 27, interceptions, 25.5 sacks, and was selected to 5 Pro-Bowls.

[​IMG]

Those might not seem like "elite" numbers, but in league history, only five other players have finished their careers with 25 interceptions and 25 sacks. Wilson has stated that it was one of his individual goals to finish his career to get to 30 INT's and 30 sacks, only Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison have been able to reach that plateau.

Personally, I haven't been this disappointed with the Cardinals cutting a player since they cut Larry Centers in 1999. Like Larry, the team made a business decision and released a dedicated team player and locker room leader to save money, and move in a different direction. Hopefully, like Larry, he will find a home with another team (preferrably outside the NFC West) that will see Adrian still has something to offer on and off the field. And hopefully, like Larry, Adrian Wilson will be able to finish his career with a SuperBowl ring. Good luck Adrian, we will really miss you here in the desert.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

yea i remember the day dawkins left philly it sucked

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

This.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Screw you guys nothing compares to this.

[​IMG]

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Sure....if you're a 49's fan. Wilson and Dawkins getting released are just as comparable if you're a Cards or Eagles fan.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

No, they arent.

7. WOODDRIVER

WOODDRIVER Team Veteran

They are VERY comparable, Walnuts. You're just hypersensitive on the issue considering that like your beloved Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Roger Craig all finished their careers wearing something other than red and gold. At least you can take some solace in the fact that none of them ever got a ring playing for another team. Unlike your trade acquisition today. News flash Niner fan: Candlestick park is NOT the center of the universe for everybody. For you, maybe, but not everybody.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Haha....I can't believe Walnuts' bait worked.

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro