Bears Coach Marc Trestman Plans To Utilize Read Option

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Sweets, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Chicago Bears new head coach Marc Trestman told reporters Wednesday that he plans to use the read-option in his offense.

"Every team is looking at it right now," Trestman said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The read-option is certainly becoming more popular, thanks to the success of shifty quarterbacks like Robert Griffin and Colin Kaepernick. Jay Cutler doesn't necessarily fit that mold, though he is athletic enough to keep defenses honest, if he chooses to run.

At the very least, it's one more thing for opposing coaches to worry about when facing the Bears.

As NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal points out, there is one team not particularly adept at defending read-option plays: the Green Bay Packers.

"I know we're going to see it early and often," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday, according to ESPNMilwaukee.com. "If I was playing against us, I would test the Green Bay Packers."

Source: CBSSports

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

3. krfire

krfire Team Veteran

Thus shortening Jay Cutler's life expectancy.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Read-option with the same kind of protection he's been getting for years will only lead to a spike in INTs.

Without some impressive changes up front, the risk/reward will only drive Bear fans to drink...heavier.