Teammates, Coaches Knew Of Gay NFL Player And Didn't Care

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

It turns out that for the past few years, with no one watching, an NFL team -- with its machismo and tough guys -- had reached a certain understanding with one of its players, the player was gay, many on the team knew it, and no one cared.

The player was not openly gay but several of the player's friends on the team knew it, a good dozen players on the team were aware the player dated men, several players on the team told CBSSports.com.

"It was the worst kept secret on the team," said one player. "Many of us knew and we didn't care at all."

CBSSports.com is declining to name the player since the player has not openy declared himself gay.

One of the main reasons players have not come out as openly gay in NFL locker rooms has been due to fear of repercussions from teammates, coaches and fans.

But if players on this team knew their teammate was gay, and accepted him, this would represent a possibly dramatic shift in the entire idea that an openly gay man could exist in the NFL.

"We saw him as a player," said the teammate, "not as a gay player."

Source: CBSSports

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Makes sense to me. Before Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed, I knew of a few gay members in the military, most people knew about them but nobody cared. When they repealed it, people came out and again it didn't matter to anyone. All that matters is what kind of job they do.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

No one gives a flying rod. People just blow this crap out of proportion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

why care about anybody's sexuality,especially when that person is a friend? I have lots of gay friends who I never asked about their sexuality cause it does not effect the friendship I have with them! I know they are openly gay,but I could not care less one way or another!

5. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

As stated above.. Who really cares if they are gay.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Right, so they should be able to be out openly, without it having to be a a secret of any kind, well-kept or otherwise. Nobody cares, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

7. Omen

Exactly

I truly think that some homosexuals want to make more of it than people truly care.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Shocking...no one cared and no one got the AIDS...

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

They aren't the ones making the big deal about it.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The idea of a flying rod scares me.

11. Omen

That's why I said some not all