Jets Rookie QB Geno Smith Defends Himself Against Onslaught Of Criticism

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SRW, May 7, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

After getting blitzed by unnamed NFL executives and scouts in a couple of media reports, Geno Smith is defending himself against the onslaught of criticism.

In an interview Monday with USA Today, Smith not surprisingly disagreed with reports that he is a diva, aloof, immature and spoiled while also being criticized for firing his agents after falling to the Jets in the second round. The criticism of Smith largely emerged from predraft trips in which he allegedly focused on his mobile device rather than engage with execs and coaches of the teams he was visiting.

"I don't worry about what people say—my skin is pretty thick," Smith told USA Today. "I've never been in trouble."

Smith denied the report that surfaced in a Yahoo Sports! story that he preferred to concentrate on texting and cfreaking Twitter during team visits.

"That's not true," Smith said. "I got strong remarks from all the teams I visited with. ... I couldn't care less what's coming out in the media because I know what's true."

Smith said he didn’t dismiss his agents over his fall out of the first round. But he was ambiguous about why he fired them.

"Parts of the draft experience were tough, but not all of it," Smith said. “With that entire process, you can see where some things went wrong. ... Choosing to leave those guys was the best decision for me at the time. That's what I went with. I think I'm pretty good with my decision making. So I trust myself."

Source: Sporting News

2. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

"Choosing to leave those guys was the best decision for me at the time. That's what I went with. I think I'm pretty good with my decision making. So I trust myself." This is the oddest thing I have ever heard. I make good decisions so I trust myself. That's like there is someone else in his head who he lets make these decisions and the rest of him just follows along.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

this guy reminds me so much of Jeff George and Ryan Leaf. he is going to be a disaster

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

He has thick skin?!? Lol...

Why go to Twitter to defend yourself against "critics?" Why threaten to leave the draft after not being a first round pick?

Very thin skin and problems with adversity. Two very poor traits to have as a QB...

5. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer