NFL Close To Shifting Draft To May

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, May 20, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The NFL and NFL Players Association are on the verge of pushing back the draft to May and moving up the start of the league year to before the Indianapolis scouting combine, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. This according to league and union sources, .

As for the draft, the NFLPA is close to signing off on allowing the NFL to move the draft to May from April for at least the next three years, according to sources. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can set the date of the draft without the NFLPA's approval, although he would prefer to have the union's blessing to maintain league harmony.

The start of the new league year is now expected to be moved to before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis rather than after it, per league sources. The NFLPA wanted to give free agents a chance to find new teams sooner.

The NFL originally proposed a league year that would have started later in the calendar year and the NFLPA rejected that idea, believing it to be unfair to its players.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Hate it. Screw you Rog. STOP FREAKING WITH CRAP!

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I agree with [MENTION=1604]TheDuke[/MENTION]. HATE THE IDEA. Hate the idea that it delays OTAs even longer, hate the idea that these college kids will have to wait even longer to be drafted...brutal. Not sure if there is a scheduling conflict in NY or what, there shouldn't be, but this is a terrible idea...

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Oh good. So we can have even more freaking time for everyone to completely over analyze the crap out of these kids.

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

If it means the draft will start again on a saturday im ok with this. Otherwise ... well.

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

As long as the start of the season is not pushed out, this doesn't bother me.

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

Philly is trying to get the draft, i cant see them moving it out of radio city though.

I hate the idea, but at least it will be something to do in may...which is a painfully slow NFL month

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

It would make sense in Philadelphia if there was some sort of scheduling conflict for Radio City in April...

9. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 Rookie

I'm fairly sure this isn't due to a scheduling conflict, more that the NFL wants to make the NFL off-season more attention-worthy. So there's a smooth transition from Super Bowl > free agency > combine > next year's schedule release > draft > otas > training camp > Hall of fame/preseason > opening week.

One thing I would like to see from the draft is have it rotate locations. Instead of New York every year, have it move to Chicago/Denver/San Francisco/Atlanta/Dallas every year so more fans have the chance to experience it first-hand. I'd love to go to a draft, but its not easy to get to New York for 3 days.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think it's a scheduling conflict either...you would think that the draft in April is the #1 priority there and "set in stone."

Gotta be a money reason. Maybe more advertising money in May compared to April...

11. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Love this. :beer: