Redskins' Name Discussed By Congress

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by SRW, Jul 10, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Discussion about the appropriateness of the Washington Redskins' team name continues to simmer this offseason. It reached the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday.

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega, American Samoa's non-voting delegate to the House, made a speech on Wednesday decrying the team name.

"Mr. Speaker, it's time the National Football League and the NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, face the reality that the continued use of the word 'Redskin' is unacceptable. It is a racist, derogatory term, and patently offensive to Native Americans." Faleomavega said via the Washington Post. "The Native American community has spent millions of dollars over the past two decades trying earnestly to fight the racism that is perpetuated by this slur.

"The fact that the NFL and commissioner Goodell continue to deny this is a shameful treatment of the mistreatment of Native Americans for so many years. It is quite obvious that once the American public understands why 'Redskins' is so offensive, it will know that the word should never be used again."

Faleomavaega was one of 10 members of Congress to send a letter asking for change to Commissioner Roger Goodell and Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

Snyder said this offseason that he would "never" change the team's name, although the Redskins have indicated some willingness to hear what their fans think.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wonder if the government will pick up the tab for the cost that the REDSKINS will have to incur to change the name...

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I mean this in no disrespect, especially considering I'm from that area and have heritage from two of the tribes in Virginia. But why is this on the floor of the HoR when there are much more pressing things they need to be busy doing?

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

:icon_evil:
    Cause these stupid JAMFS want to get their names in the history books as making the skins change their name! never mind we got record homelessness, american soldiers being returned in body bags every day,and the economy about as it has been in at least my lifetime!
    we do not pay them to solve private matters outside the us government,we pay them to work on government problems,and by the looks of things,they have not done a damn thing but walk around with their thumbs up their pompous,ignorant,stupid jolly fat asses!

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Can someone please put a motion on the floor to take away Diesel's exclamation point key as well while they are at it?

6. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Shouldn't Congress be discussing other matters of importance?

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

This question is asked in literally every thread involving Congress and sports. Apparently they really do have nothing better to do, though.

8. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

BECAUSE there are more pressing matters to attend to..... Just another governMENTAL diversion from the real issues

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Congress should make the Redskins change their name & take it a step further & give Native Americans back what they'd really like...their land.

10. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

If I was Snyder and I was forced to change the name. I would move the team far from the DC area. Congress needs to fix Obamacare not worry about the name of a damn football team.

Yea give them DC that's not being used for anything good.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

99% of us are gonna be homeless!

then
    :icon_cheesygrin:

12. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Woah.....where are we going to live?