Alex Smith Struggles As 49ers Rally Past Chiefs 15-13

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith struggled against his former team, and backup San Francisco quarterback B.J. Daniels threw a late touchdown pass to give the 49ers a 15-13 victory over Kansas City in a preseason game Friday night.

Phil Dawson hit all three of his field-goal attempts for the 49ers, two of them 55-yarders, while the Chiefs' Quintin Demps returned a kickoff 104 yards for a touchdown.

Smith was just 7 of 16 for 62 yards while playing the full first half, but he did help Kansas City to two field goals. The 49ers didn't go easy on him, either: Defensive tackle Tony Jerod-Eddie was flagged for delivering a helmet-to-helmet hit on Smith in the second quarter.

Colin Kaepernick, who took over Smith's starting job in San Francisco last season, only played the first offensive series.

Source: Associated Press

[ame="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000230987/Pre-Week-2-49ers-vs-Chiefs-highlights"]Pre Week 2: San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs highlights - NFL Videos[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow Best QB in NY

If I had shoes as large as Smith's to fill, I would always be feeling the pressure.

It would be smothering.

Almost overwhelming.

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

To Alex's credit, there were a lot of drops by the WRs and TEs. His deep balls didn't look much different than when he was here though. Tolzien didn't look good at all. Daniels started out rusty but had some nice throws and decisions. The TD pass was put in a great spot.

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Chiefs lost and Alex Smith sucked...dinking and dunking as usual...throw 2 deep balls no where near the receiver.[​IMG]

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Matt Cassell kind of sucked, bro.

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Although Smith didn't look like a Pro Bowl QB, the utter dominance of SF's D-Line over KC's O-line may have been a bigger factor. Damn SF's defense looked good.

7. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

as far as im concern BJ Daniels is the backup to Kaep. Colt Mccoy and Tozien have look like crap so far. Real nice td pass Daniels made

8. MadMoxxiFavGun

yea. i think they might be better. even the second stringers made alex look bad. biggest thing i took away from the past two games is how good the niner's pass rush looks. they got aldon smith but the other guys have been impressive. hoping corey lemonier has a rookie season like aldon had. it would be crazy.

9. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Now I'm really confused...

Does this mean Jay Cutler is better?

10. MadMoxxiFavGun

they broke even this week:icon_cheesygrin:

11. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I didn't see the game, but looking at the highlights it didn't look like he had much of a chance. Constant pressure, nobody open, and drops.