Steelers FS Ryan Clark 'Disgusted' By NFL's Stance On Hitting Rules

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The NFL's efforts to protect players, especially from head injuries, have rammed a wedge between offensive and defensive players.

Likely future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez had some harsh criticisms for defenders who dive at knees after Houston Texans safety D.J. Swearinger avoided hitting Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller in the head by going low.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark had his own take Tuesday on the squeeze being put on defenders. We will cede the floor to Mr. Clark:

"I'm so disgusted with the NFL right now about those situations," Clark said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "If an offensive player makes enough of a stink, they'll change it. I know Tony Gonzalez was extremely upset about the hit on Dustin Keller. I understand that. I believe, and some of you may have the film, I said if you start penalizing guys and fining guys for hits up top ... Some of these hits up top are not illegal.

"I remember a hit I had on Victor Cruz last year, which was clearly legal, but it gave up seven points. I hurt my team by doing something I deemed legal and something the NFL also deemed legal by not fining me.

"So you go to the other extreme. The guys know there is no way possible (to) get fined if (they) go low. It will be one or the other. Guys will hit up high and maybe risk getting a concussion or hurting a shoulder. When you get hit low, the season is going to be over. If they decide to change this rule, they might as well put flags on because you'll give a guy who is 200 pounds, like myself, a 2-foot area to stop a guy who is 240 or 250 running at full speed. They might as well just take us off the field and see how many points you can score on offense in 60 minutes."

The overdone flag hyperbole aside, Clark's point that the rules favor the offense remains a valid outcry for defenders as they balance doing their jobs versus hurting an opponent.

Source: NFL.com

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Can't say I disagree.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Neither can I...

I'm a player negotiating my next contract & I'm having the caveat that the team pay any fines from hits. Rules are too vague & subjective.

4. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I agree with him. Where can you hit someone and what makes most of us lovers of the sport? A good hard hit!! This is a tough mans sport..... Will it soon just be the fastest mans sport?

5. Tarkus

Just might end up to be, Dougerrrr

All it does is give an unfair advantage to talent for the sake of it.

Not like hockey when it took away the fighting. At least you were left with hard hits & the talent.

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Ahhhh, the good old days when Fred "The Hammer" Williamson and Jack Tatum patrolled the secondary daring anyone to come their way.

7. Tarkus

I guess we're not PC enough by today's standard, 127. Probably cuz we're just blood thirsty barbarians, :icon_thumright:

Soul Patrol - Oakland Raiders - YouTube

8. markaz

Hanging in Goodell's orifice, err, office.

[​IMG]

9. pepperfoot

pepperfoot Rookie

whats the deal with all these big signatures?! looks funny

10. Tarkus

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AERwgNvgMmc]We've got Dodgson Here - YouTube[/ame]

Don't go away mad...just go away

11. markaz

Noticed you don't have one, dude. Here's one for ya and it's only 202x200. It's called a troll. I'm including the avatar if you think that's too much.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, now there are rumors flying around that the league is considering making hits at or below the knees illegal so it is becoming quite comical.