Rex Ryan Defends Choice To Skip Jets' Cuts To Attend Son's Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweets, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Rex Ryan’s decision to skip cut-down day to watch his son, Seth, a freshman walk-on wide receiver at Clemson, face Georgia in South Carolina has come under scrutiny.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports Jets general manager John Idzik, who excused Ryan, and his confidantes spent Saturday finalizing cuts and formulating plans to put in waiver wire claims to bolster the team.

Ryan was out of town during this pivotal period for the first time since taking over as head coach in 2009.

“I’ve never heard of that before,†an NFC executive said. “It’s crazy.â€

Ryan defended his absence.

“It’s not like I’m going to be able to go to another game,†Ryan said Monday. “It just so happened that I could make that one: It was a night game. So that’s really what I did. I took advantage of it. It was great. I just played dad there for a day and it was a lot of fun.â€

“He’s got zero influence,†a source close to the situation said about Ryan. “(He) doesn’t care and he is letting everyone know. He just shows up for his check... It’s a big F.U. to all the players.â€

Source: The Redzone

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

[​IMG]

Ryan's a buffoon but if Idzik OK'd it...

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

To that end, has any other NFL head coach in recent memory had to lick so many spoons? He's got to have photos of Woody Johnson doing a line of coke or taking one from Honeysuckle Divine.....or something.

4. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Come on! It was his damn son's college football game. I seriously doubt that many of y'all would do anything different.

5. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I'm a family man so I would've tried to go too, but like Anonymous indicated, Ryan has no influence anyway so what would him being there for cut down have mattered?

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

you should also take into account that the PLAYERS(you know the guys REX coaches)deserve to see the coach when they get cut, it's more like he didn't want to be there and be the bad guy. NFL coaches know that it's their crutch to bare, to lose personal time with their families, coaches know this from the beginning and in the NFL it's even more obvious that coaches aren't around for their families during this time of the year. Rex is on his way out and IMO that's the only reason he left to go to the game.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. groenator

groenator Rookie

That's true... some people don't have better things to do...

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

he is a lame duck coach anyway. who is to say that he was not in constant contact with them via the internet and cell phone giving his input? i can't stand they guy,but i can fault him for going to see his kid play his 1st college game.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm all about taking shots at Rex Ryan, but as a parent, I don't have any issues with it. It's his kids first college football game, the kid is a walk on...and really, he's doing the "right thing" as a Dad. Good for him.

The media loves taking shots at this guy for everything. Here, they are wrong IMO.

10. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

I love that picture.

11. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

as a parent instead of a NFL Coach, then retire and enjoy ALL your kids game...he's a bafoon but he should have been on his job...