Did Dana White Go Too Far In Banning Rousimar Palhares?

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by MadMoxxiFavGun, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

This is a video of a fight where Rousimar Palhares fought recently. Later that night Dana said he will be cut and banned from the UFC forever. Dana feels he held on too long. I think its a grey area. The hold shoulda been broken sooner by the ref. The ref was across the octagon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsblWuiwMGY]Palhares submits Pierce in 31 seconds - YouTube[/ame]

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Re: Did Dana Go Too Far?

Um, yeah. I'm not seeing the major issue. The opponent switched directly from punching to tapping out, which probably took him a second to register what was going on. I count 1.5 seconds between the time he started tapping and the release. Surprised this is such an issue

3. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

It's not the first Palhares has not immediately let go of a hold and he was suspended for that before. This was his second strike in the UFC.

Y! SPORTS

4. MadMoxxiFavGun

yea i dont see anything wrong with that. watching it for the 15th time... dana is just trying to protect GSP from losing to this guy. he didnt start tapping til 32 and hold broke 34.

5. DontKnowMe

6. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

My opinion when I watched it Wednesday was he held too long. That has only been reinforced watching it 4 more times. The ref was sitting on them trying to get them separated and he was still cranking on it. The fight was over, he's fighting after the whistle.

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

8. MadMoxxiFavGun

they are all blowing this out of proportion. there is nothing dirty about how long he held. it is less than 2 seconds. how many times do we see refs pull fighters off like that? the answer is all the time. they are making this sport worse. dana should just say submissions are illegal because the injury factor. thats his whole case. he is trying to say he held on for 4 seconds. the truth is if he wanted to really hurt him... he would have just like frank mir did Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira.

9. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Difference in that fight was Nog wouldn't tap. That's why his arm got broken, because of pride

10. DontKnowMe

He kept cranking on this guy's leg even though he was obviously tapping. He went a little too far with it and it cost him.

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't see anything wrong with it. I count two seconds from first tap till he let go. Two seconds goes by awfully quick, I'd imagine it goes very quick if you're in the heat of a UFC match.

12. MadMoxxiFavGun

I agree. When I got into fights it took much longer for for the intervention to sink in. All you think about is winning. Fighting at this high level, I can only imagine what its like. If you have have the guy tapping and you let go... You have to hope the ref seen the tap otherwise you lose your winning position and have to continue fighting. Id be pissed if i made the guy tap then i get ko because i let go too soon.

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I don't think he did anything wrong, he let go when he knew for sure the ref was trying to stop it.

14. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

^^^This. The only thing they need to crack down on is the guy who's laying on the mat with his toes rigid and eyeballs rolled up into his head and his opponent comes in with the elbow or a wide open shot to the chin when he's obviously out. That's on the refs though for not covering the guy fast enough. Still, hammering an opponent in that condition is wrong and is going to, if it hasn't already, ended somebody's career or life.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  15. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

that isn't what i pictured when i initially heard about this situation, lol. joke.

16. MadMoxxiFavGun

i was just thinking about this. Rousimar Palhares might have a lawsuit case. wrongful termination, breach of contract or something like that.

17. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Nah I'm sure UFC contracts are about as locked down as can get in favor of UFC

18. RichLikeWh0a

that isn't wrongful termination anyway, lol. that's like saying a safety in the nfl has a wrongful termination suit if he gets cut for dropping a pick.

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

That's actually not at all what it's like.

20. RichLikeWh0a

It actually is. The point is, a sports contract isn't the same as the real world. You don't need a reason to terminate someone.