NFL Fact or Fiction: Midseason Awards Edition

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by SRW, Nov 1, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

After a week off, NFL Fact or Fiction is back. This week we delve into Mid-Season NFL awards. Who's the mid-season MVP? Defensive Player of the Year? Rookie of the Year? Read on for more!

Welcome back to another edition of NFL Fact or Fiction here on GridironFans.com. I am this column's co-author, SteveRobWhatever, and along with my tag team partners RichLikeWh0a and Omen we form the best trio on the site....actually we are the ONLY trio and can use some more members joining the NFL Writer's Block. Check out this link for more info on how you can post your own articles here on the site. The column took a bye week last week thanks to some issues on the site's backend but everything's ok now so we are back on track. This week we'll be looking at our midseason NFL awards. Enough chatter, let's get into some football!

We have reached the midway point of the season so it's time for my midseason NFL award winners. All of these picks are based entirely on personal opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree with my list. This is the way good 'ol SRW sees it after eight weeks:

NFL MVP: Peyton Manning, Broncos
    Offensive Player of the Year: Calvin Johnson, Lions
    Defensive Player of the Year: Richard Sherman, Seahawks
    Offensive Rookie of the Year: Giovani Bernard, Bengals
    Defensive Rookie of the Year: Kiko Alonzo, Bills
    Comeback Player of the Year: Alex Smith, Chiefs
    Coach of the Year: Andy Reid, Chiefs​
    That's my list and I'm sticking to it. So what's yours? Think my list is bunk and that you can do better? Post them in the comments below! But before you go racing off to put up your own list, let's get into this week's edition of NFL Fact of Fiction. Who knows, you might find a couple more things to comment on!

NFL Fact or Fiction: Midseason Awards Edition

[​IMG]

1. Peyton Manning is easily the mid-season NFL MVP and it's not even close for whomever comes in at #2.

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction. I do think Peyton Manning is the mid-season MVP, but I also believe that the team is one of the NFL's best with any good QB. I do not think the same can be said for the Detroit Lions if you take Calvin Johnson out of the equation. Admittedly, after the assbeating he just single-handedly delivered to the Cowboys, I'm slightly biased in this. However, the stats don't lie. The Lions were absolutely dreadful without him. To me, that makes him very even with Peyton in terms of MVP-ship.

Omen:Fact No question about it. No player in the league is more important that Peyton is to the Broncos. Dude is playing on another level since day one of this season.

[​IMG]

2. Sean Lee should get more buzz about being Defensive Player of the Year. He's not on a Super Bowl favorite, but he's been a one-man gang on defense.

RichLikeWh0a: Fact. Again, obviously I'm biased. But I have every right to be. Sean Lee is easily one of the best linebackers in the league. I don't use the term blessing very often (well, never), but having Sean Lee is absolutely a blessing. This guy is a machine, and he does everything the right way. He deserves the utmost respect.

Omen: Fact. If Sean Lee played in Seattle, San Fran etc etc....we'd be saturated with his likeness everywhere. He's basically our defensive Peyton Manning. Dallas's defense would crumble to lower depths with this dude missing.

[​IMG]

3. While Peyton Manning is the mid-season MVP, Calvin Johnson is the NFL's Offensive Player of the Year at the midway point.

RichLikeWh0a: Fact. You kind of got the answer out of me on the first question, but Calvin Johnson is at least SOMETHING when it comes to year end awards. If you aren't going to give this guy the MVP, he surely better be the OPOTY.

Omen: Fiction simply because see question one answer. The Lions can win without Megatron. The Broncos wouldn't be anywhere near their current status if it weren't for Manning. The same can't be said about Calvin.

[​IMG]

4. The 8-0 Chiefs are the NFL's best team at the midway point of the season.

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction. The Chiefs defense is fantastic. The offense is adequate. However, their luck is tremendous. They have had a fairly soft schedule so far and I think their record is a reflection of that. I'm not saying they aren't a good team, because they're definitely one of the best in the league thus far... but do I think they're the best? Not even a little.

Omen: Fiction IMHO I believe there is a logjam for the number one spot in the nfl. The Chiefs have not played many good teams so far. Their schedule is suspect.

[​IMG]

5. The 0-8 Jaguars are the NFL's worst team at the midway point of the season.

RichLikeWh0a: Fact. As fact as it can get. The other poor teams can at least attribute their woes to various injuries, coaching deficiencies or otherwise unfortunate circumstances. This team is just...bad. In every conceivable manner. They have some good offensive weapons, but no ability to use them. Outside of that, what do the Jaguars have going for them, aside from a #1 overall pick? Not a whole lot.

Omen:Fact. This team is dismal, I mean even MJD has been dragged down to the same depths go the team. Who was usually a bright spot but no more.

**** BONUS QUESTION *****

[ame="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000274490/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-play-Put-it-in-reverse"]WK 9 Can't Miss play: Put it in reverse - NFL Videos[/ame]

6. Giovani Bernard edges out Eddie Lacy for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year so far.

RichLikeWh0a:Fiction. Lacy is superior, if this award is going to either of them. There is a lot of football left to play and I see a lot of wide receivers really making themselves valuable for their teams (OKAY, I MIGHT BE HOMERING OUT FOR TERRENCE WILLIAMS A LITTLE BIT...sue me). Fortunately for all involved, there doesn't appear to be a significant push by any rookie QBs to challenge for the honor.

Omen: Fiction. Eddie Lacy is ranked 13th with an average of 74 yds a game while Bernard is ranked 32nd with an average of 35 yds a game. All while Lacy missed a game due to a Concussion and is still out stating Gio. Eddie is the main sole RB in Green Bay while Gio shares playing time with the Law Firm.

Omen and RichLikeWh0a agreed on 4 of the 6 questions this week. Thanks again guys for helping out! Now it's time for members to chime in. So what do you have for us? Got your own list of midseason award winners? Post it up! Have a different take on one of the questions? Post it up? Think we all are blowhards and you can do better? Show us! We look forward to cfreaking out your comments below.

I leave you now with the Classic NFL Moment Of The Week, enjoy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfz4JViRkoA"]Music City Miracle-Actual TV Broadcast - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Great write-up fellas! Hard to disagree with most of what you've stated here this week. Some things I think deserve mention:

1) Matthew Stafford is having a great year so far for Detroit. He has really kept that team in some games through injuries, and made some big plays when they needed them.

2) AJ Green is quietly (somehow) having a MONSTER season. If Calvin Johnson doesn't have 329 yards in a game, AJ is ahead of him for the season comfortably.

3) Tamba Hali, I feel is the Defensive Player of the Year. He has been extremely disruptive for KCs stout defensive unit. Don't agree that Sherman is DPOTY, partly because he isn't as good as who I feel is the best CB in the game..... Alterraun Verner! Ya I see your boy [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION] :)

4) Giovanni Bernard is going to be Offensive Rookie of the Year. Yes, Lacy is ahead of him in rushing yards, but Bernard has forty FEWER carries. Also, his pass catching prowess and, most importantly, his effectiveness on third down make him extremely dangerous.

5) Kiko Alonso is impacting the game like an All-Pro veteran out there. Hard to believe this is his rookie season. Other rookie defensive players having great years are: Tyrann Mathieu, 49 Tackles, 1 sack, 2 INTs, 1 forced fumble and Marcus Cooper, 11 pass deflections, 2 INTs, 1 fumble recovery and 1 TD (how SF let him get away, I have no idea).

6) Alex has meant a lot for KC, so I can see where he'd be comeback player of the year. And he helped my favorite team score another 2nd round draft pick, so kudos for having a positive impact on more than one team!

7) I know Andy Reid has done a phenomenal job with KC, but in my opinion what Sean Payton has done after a year away from the game has been amazing. He has New Orleans looking like a Super Bowl hopeful again. Also, Bill Belichick's and Jim Harbaugh's handling of their teams through all the injuries and turmoil they've been through has shown they are the still kings of the mountain as well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

The Chiefs start this year kind of reminds me how the Bears started last year, with an easy 1st half of the season schedule granted the Chiefs start is 1 game better. They still have to play the Broncos twice, I think those two games will tell a lot about the Chiefs. Too bad the Chiefs don't have the Saints and Seahawks on their schedule.

As far as the Jaguars go, like Bill Parcells once said, you are what your record says you are.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

completely agree. don't know what SRW was smoking when he made that pick but Sherman isn't even the best CB in the league this year. Verner has been much more dominant.

Hali could be in the conversation for dpoy, especially if he keeps racking up sacks and forced fumbles the rest of the way, but he's not very strong against the run which takes him down a notch.

i think that sean lee should definitely be in the conversation for dpoy.

Bernard beats Lacy for OROY and it's not really that close.

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

It's called Caramello...freaking blasts your mind...SRW picking Alex Smith for Comeback Player??? Where did he come BACK from??? Alex hasn't done jack crap except what he's always done..MANAGE A GAME..and I'll NEVER give him any kudos....

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Haha. Awesome.

7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I agree with SRW picks mostly. I would have to think Coach Payton is the coach of the year. Too bad they don't have defensive coordinator of the year. That would have to go to Rob Ryan. Thanks Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

I went with Sherman over Verner simply because I didn't want to come off as a homer and the Seahawks have a way better defensive unit than the Titans do. It's arguably a toss-up in my book if Sherman or Earl Thomas are the best players in that secondary. I know Sherman gets heat for his mouth but 9 times out of 10 I have seen him back it up on the field.

And yes, Caramello FTW.

9. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

No. Andy Reid deserves Coach of the Year for what he's done so far. Having said that, I think the Bills upset them on Sunday.

10. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

No, Sean Peyton deserves COTY considering how awful the team was without him, and their play this year completely proving it.

11. ragman

The very same thing could be said about Reid. 2-14 last year to this? He's doing something right in KC. And the players are buying in to what he's saying.

12. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

his team was crap in philadelphia and still is for the new regime. he was a big part of that. for all we know, any adequate coach could have taken over this chiefs team and had a similar result. obviously, we know the saints CANNOT function without payton. pretty easy to figure out.

13. dpn

dpn 18to44

I would put Robert Mathis in the discussion for DPOY so far. He has been a monster!

14. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Wait a minute, wait a minute... you guys believe that Sean Lee needs to play for another team to get recognition? I mean, he does play for an obscure team noone watches, right? Come on now.

15. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

I loved him on preseason and wished he was kept. Obviously the Chiefs saw his potential too. We aimed at getting the Asomugha from the good old days and hoping he wasn't effectively washed up. Oh, boy...

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I agree, but id doesn't help that he plays for a defense ranked outside of the top 30 :icon_confused:

17. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

^So he's part of a defense that ranks outside the top 30 in the league. He's part of that problem.

18. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

So Sean Lee is part of one of the worst defenses in the league... he's part of that problem. And that warrants DPOY consideration, how?

19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I don't know...it's Romo's fault...

20. ragman

He's tied for the lead in INTs with 4 and tied for most tackles with 90.