NFL Fact Or Fiction Week 10: Jonathan Martin, Nick Foles, Aaron Rodgers & Divisional Races

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by SRW, Nov 9, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[​IMG]
    Time to celebrate, the Week 10 edition of NFL Fact Or Fiction is finally here!

This week we discuss: Hazing in Miami, The future at QB for the Eagles, The Packers' playoff chances with Aaron Rodgers out as well as the NFC West and NFC South divisional races. On with this week's festivities!

Hello readers, been about a week since the last time we did this. So everyone get a kick out of all the fun we had this past week? We had some great finishes last week. The week kicked off with the Dolphins getting a Cameron Wake safety in OT to defeat the Bengals, then Sunday brought us seven games that were decided by 7 points or less. The Seahawks avoiding a major upset at home against the Buccaneers and the Texans blowing a big lead to the Colts were the highlights of the day. Monday Night Football closed the show with drama as Aaron Rodgers injured his shoulder in a 27-20 loss to the Bears at home. Nine games in all were decided by 7 points or less. How good to do NFL fans have it? Week 10 kicks off and we get a 34-27 Vikings win over the Redskins in an entertaining game. Close games seem to be the norm in the NFL, and NFL fans can't get enough with the stakes being so high for each game. Here's a look back at a wild week 9 around the NFL:

[ame="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000276169/Week-9-GameDay-Express"]Week 9: GameDay Express - NFL Videos[/ame]

Let's hope the run of close games we have seen continues this week. We have some interesting matchups this week to keep an eye on. These are my picks for must-watch games around the NFL for Week 10:

• Detroit at Chicago - Battle for the NFC North lead. Jay Cutler will be back for the Bears so you'll have a headliner game here with two Pro Bowl QB's going at it. I really hope this ends up being a good game, it's the one I am looking forward to the most this week.
    • Cincinnati at Baltimore - The Bengals are coming off a tough loss at Miami last week. The Ravens are reeling right now after losing to the Browns to fall to third place. This is a must win for the defending Super Bowl champions. A win here gives the Bengals the inside track to the AFC North title.
    • Carolina at San Francisco - Are the Panthers for real? We find out this week. They play a white hot 49ers team that is getting healthy at the right time. I want to see the physical matchup between the Panthers front seven and the 49ers o-line. If you like trench warfare in the NFL, this is the game for you this week.
    • Dallas at New Orleans - It's the Tony Romo show on the road against Drew Brees and the Saints. There are numerous sub-plots with the Dallas/New Orleans connections and both teams find themselves in need of a win. I expect there to be a bunch of points scored in what can be a fun QB duel this week.
    Now it's time to actually take a look back at some of last week's issues. Time to bring in my fellow tag-team partners in this column, RichLikeWh0a and Omen. Let's take a look at some topics around the NFL, Fact of Fiction style, shall we?

NFL Fact or Fiction: Week 10 Edition

[​IMG]
    Picture courtesy Kissing Suzy Kolber

1. While Richie Incognito went too far, Jonathan Martin shares some blame in the issue for not standing up for himself or reporting any problems to the organization.
    RichLikeWh0a: Fact I've said since the beginning, the circumstances don't matter all too much. Martin is a big, gaping, leaky cat. First of all, stand up for yourself. Period. You might get your butt whipped, but you'll have at least earned respect. Second of all, this is something that should have never gone this public. This guy can't care about his team, because he's made this a tremendous distraction. He hasn't handled anything about this the right way, and he's going to have a hard time resuming his career anywhere...let alone in Miami.

Omen: Fact If you've seen many of my post, you can tell I don't put the sole blame on Incognito. From the many reports that I've heard most of the locker room is backing Incognito. Seems as if they wanted Martin to react to the situation but he chose not too and instead up and left. If he (Martin) would've handled this internally or himself, I feel he would've gained their (team mates) trust and respect. I don't think it would've stopped of he'd reported to the organization due to some members of the Dolphins origination ordering this to take place. ​

[​IMG]
    Picture courtesy of @NFLMemez

2. The QB search is over. The Eagles have their franchise QB, and it's Nick Foles. He might not be the pure runner Vick is, but his passing skills are the missing ingredient that Vick simply can't bring to the table.
    RichLikeWh0a: Fiction The jury is still out. He's beat up on a couple of teams, but his performance against Dallas is one you can't forget. The sample size in this new offense is too small to declare it one way or another. That said, he very well could be. Michael Vick isn't the long term solution and that's not a revelation.

Omen: Fiction Foles seems to be a good QB. But in don't thinks he's the right type of QB Chip wants for his system He rather have a spread offense type QB. Foles is a Andy Reid player and Chip is making due with what he was given. I think the eagles will pick a QB to fit their system in the next draft. ​

[​IMG]
    Picture courtesy of @NFL_Memes

3. The Packers might as well pack it in. There is no way they make the playoffs if Rodgers misses the next 4-6 weeks. They are simply a less than mediocre team with an all-time great at QB.
    RichLikeWhoa: Fiction They realistically just need to stay afloat until Rodgers come back. They don't need to win out. And they have a relatively soft schedule in this time period as well, so it isn't unreasonable to think they can squeak a couple out. They likely won't be playing pretty football, but an ugly win is still a win. The record book doesn't reward style points. Run the football and play some good defense, and they have a chance to still make playoffs.

Omen: Fiction It ain't over till the fat lady sings. One game without Aaron doesn't define the rest of the season. Many times we've seen a starting QB get injured and the back up comes in and lights it up. Remember Tom Brady coming in for Drew. Matt Cassel for Tom Brady, Kaepernick coming for Alex Smith. I don't think Senecca Wallace is the next Tom or Collin but if he can be a good game manager keep the Pack close, their is non reason the give up hope. ​

[​IMG]
    Picture courtesy of QuickMeme.com

4. The Seahawks might currently lead the NFC West, but they are floundering and the 49ers will overtake them to once again win the division crown.
    RichLikeWh0a: Fiction I don't think either team is as indestructible as they were thought to be at the beginning of the season, but I do think that the Seahawks are the better team right now. The Seahawks also have a wild card in Percy Harvin--who knows how that offense will operate with him. It could be an over-hyped bust, or it could be a dynamic threat that makes them take a step forward. You could make an argument for Crabtree's return being a wild card, but I don't think anybody expects Crabtree to set the world on fire when he returns. Down the stretch, however, I still believe Seahawks take the division.

Omen: Fiction The Seahawks will stay on top of the division. They are familiar and ready for the Niners this year. IMHO I think they weren't ready for a Colin Kaepernick led SF team. The 'Hawks are undefeated in their division, if they lose one game in the division it'll be to the Niners which means they've split the games. But in don't see them losing to any of the other NFC West teams which keeps them atop the division and the NFC.​

[​IMG]
    Picture courtesy of MemeCrunch.com

5. The Panthers have a huge game against the 49ers this week. If the Panthers pull the win, they have to then be considered the favorites to win the NFC South over the Saints. We've seen chinks in the Saints' armor of late and the offense is finally coming up to speed to an already stifling defense in Charlotte.
    RichLikeWh0a: Fiction I think the Saints are the favorites regardless, but I don't think that means the Panthers can't win it. The Saints, however, have a higher boom potential than the Panthers in any and every game, and as such, I can't really count them out.

Omen: Fiction The NFC South is the Saints to lose. All teams have chinks in their armor. And I am of the opinion that the Panthers have bigger chinks. The have lost to teams that were really bad. The Saints should and will probably win the NFC South without a hitch. The Panthers can compete for a wildcard spot but not the division.​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kwXNVCaxY]That's All Folks! (Best one on YouTube) - YouTube[/ame]

Omen and RichLikeWh0a agreed on 4 of the 5 questions this week. Thanks again guys for helping out! Now it's time for members to chime in. So what do you have for us? Let's hear your takes on this weeks Fact or Fiction.

I leave you now with the Classic NFL Moment Of The Week, enjoy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw"]The best play on super bowl XLII - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree with you guys on all 5 as well. Good stuff once again...although the "classic moment" I like to see something a little older...lol.

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Next week we'll get back on the wayback machine for you NFL history buffs.

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Very nice job, [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION], [MENTION=555]Omen[/MENTION] and [MENTION=968]RichLikeWh0a[/MENTION]. This is one of my two "look forward to" pieces every week. Can't say that I agree on a couple of points, but hey......it's your podium. :icon_thumright:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

We all want a safe work environment. I do believe Incognito went a little too far in trying to toughin up Jonathan Martin. With what he said in the voice mail message, you got to be careful with who you say stuff like that to for reasons that have already happened in this case. I don't know how much crap Martin took but there comes a time where you got to be a man, grow a set of balls, and stand up for yourself and Martin instead took his ball and went home. If I where a betting man, I would that there is something in this case that has yet to be reported.

IF a team losses their most important player for a certain amount of time and they're currently in the playoff race, NO, they still shouldn't pack it in. The Packers don't have the toughest of schedules the next 6 weeks but it's a schedule they better not be taking lightly either. We will find out what the Packers are made of with Rodgers sidelined.

6. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Regarding Nick Foles, I think you both are right. I would gladly call him the QBOTF for Philly, but realistically you can't say after such a small sample, plus his struggles in his last game prior to the Raiders match.

BUT, I think Chip Kelly would be a moron if he were to dump Foles because he "doesn't fit his offense". A good coach will work with a good player, regardless, and try to tweak his scheme to maximize the player's potential. Say Foles keep playing well (not 7 TDs per game, obviously) but next year they go in the draft's 1st round for an athletic QB who may not have Foles' passing skills yet. What if Foles demands to be traded to a team that gives him a chance to start, he gets his wish granted, lands the Eagles a high pick (maybe a 2nd rounder, considering the price the Chiefs paid for The Mediocre Game Manager) and the rookie QB turns out to be a bust?

Oh, and I BELIEVE IN NICK FOLES, suckas! :icon_cheesygrin:

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

How can you explain the fact that Foles did nothing against the Cowboys?

8. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

The same way you explain Peyton Manning crapping the bed against NE, NYJ and SD in 3 of his first 5 starts? I'm saying that I understand you can't crown him as the QBOTF (as much as I'm rooting for him) because of the small sample, and that small sample includes both doing crap against Dallas and looking like a juggernaut against Oakland. So no, Foles is not a rookie, but you have to consider that Philly's not committed to him, so that takes away valuable practice reps with the 1st team.

Despite that, he's done well. I'm not going to let his losing record be a factor, that has a lot to do with him, but it also means that his defense is a bag of manure, and it's been for 3 years now, at least. So, knowing Vick's durability concerns and Barkley's overall suckiness and status as a 4th round rookie with limited physical tools, the sensible thing to do is to evaluate Foles the rest of the year, and if the coaches believe he can get the job done, adapt the system to his strengths and try to fix the defense next offseason.

I don't think I can give a fairer assesment than this.

9. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Another great mashup this week gentlemen. Agree with most of what you wrote, and it won't be a stretch to know which part I don't agree on. :)

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Love how the Niners fans try to take shots at Alex Smith every chance they get...lol.

11. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Not this one. I like Alex a lot. Happy for him

12. Spiman2u

Spiman2u Chiefs fan no matter what

I hear both a lot or this 1 "We gave him to you" you/ me being a Chiefs fan... Like I should kiss their arse /bow or bend over.