In-Season Look At The Dallas Cowboys Draft Needs

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by Jihad Joe, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

[​IMG]

With about 3 quarters of the season played out, we have a pretty solid look at what kind of young talent this team is going to need to the roster. Listed in order of priority, not by round

#1 Defensive Tackle. 1 and 3 Technique

Hatcher is a Free Agent and going to command alot of money after the season he is having. With our cap situation it would not be wise to extended him at his age. Tyrone Crawford has alot of promise, but I hate counting on guys coming off season enders. Two guys I really have my eye on is Timmy Jernigan and Will Sutton. These guy were made to be a terror in a Tampa 2 DL. Doesnt look like a great draft to get a 1 Tech at our spot unless Nix falls, and Im not so sure he would fit anyways.

#2 Defensive End

Spencer is on a franchise tag and hasnt played a down this year. Ware has been effective, but getting to an age where he is getting nicked up alot. Selvie has been a great find and is signed through 2014, but could wind up the most JAGish 10 sack player in NFL history. Wilber has really came on of late.......at OLB so he may be out of the equation. From where we stand, this isnt looking like a good first round for DE's. Tuitt would most likley be a 3 Tech in our scheme (hmmmmm) and Trent Murphy, Vic Beasley, and Trevor Reilly dont really excite much as mid first rounders. Right now it looks our best place to go DE shopping will be the 2nd

#2 Offensive Tackle

Despite what alot of people think, the Cowboys offensive line has been a strength this year. The OTs have played very well. Tyron has been having a Pro Bowl year and Free really turned it around. However, Free has been trending downward the second half of the season, and if he finishes like he has played in 2012 and 21013, its time to move on Lewan, Kouandjio, and Ogbuehi could be options at Dallas's pick

#4 Offensive Guard

Frederick has been outstanding inside, and is going to be a very strong leader. Next to him, Leary has been both good and bad, but is basically a rookie himself and has show serious upside. The problem is on the other side of Frederick where Bernadeau plays. While his play has improved, he is still a player you need to look into replacing. I will say however, despite his outstanding early season play, Im more worried about Frees play going forward then Bernadeau

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Re: In Season Look At The Dallas Cowboys Draft Needs

Agreed with your post. I would add qb to that. I don't mean one to replace Romo right away, but one to sit behind him for a couple of years ala Aaron Rogers. I wouldn't want a first round qb either. We far too many defensive and offensive line needs for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jihad Joe

Considering how strong this class is, I wouldnt mind a 1st round QB to be honest. The first round really isnt about needs, its about cornerstones.

However the guy I have my eye on is Aaron Murray in the 2nd. Would have been a mid first in this class and the first QB taken last year. With his injury, should slip to the 2nd

4. Omen

Having seen a lot of Murray, since I'm in Georgia I wouldn't mind him one bit either. The dude has done everything he's asked to do.

5. Omen

Georgia would've had a better season If not for their defense

6. Jihad Joe

I honestly think he would have been a top 10 pick last year considering how weak the QB class and top half of the first round were.

He'd recover next year. Sit his second and start his third

7. Jihad Joe

A lot of Cowboy fans have been clamoring for a Safety, mainly because of how terrible Heath is.

I actually think we are good there. Church has played very well and is locked up for a very reasonable sum, and Wilcox played very well, and has the ability to be a star.

I do think we need one somewhere (god **mn you for being so brittle Matt Johnson), but I think we are looking for a Pat Watkins #3 saftey. A subpackage and ST standout in the later rounds

8. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

at what point do the boys start looking for a big pass catching TE to replace a slowing down, aging witten?

9. Omen

Agreed I'm excited about JJ W developing. Church has been good.

Heath was thrown in their and did poorly but has been better since the saints game.

10. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Personally, I feel more concerned with OG than OT. But it is admittedly a toss up. I don't remember how Free's deal was structured when he took a pay cut--is he signed for like 3.5 mil again next year? I think the dude's problem is more on the mental or heart side than physical. I don't think he cares as much as he should. There's no other excuse for how hot and cold he is.

Defensive line is without a doubt the biggest need. I might be in the minority here, and it really freaking pains me to say it, but I don't think Ware has a whole lot left. I'd not only like us to go for depth, but start looking for his replacement. Don't get me wrong, he's still good, but I worry about how much longer he can hold up (or if he should try to). I don't want it to get to a point where Ware is still a Cowboy on name and not productivity (given his contract), and I think that could happen after another year (if not next year, honestly).

I agree with safety being overstated. Wilcox should be starting again by now (why is Heath still Starting?). Church and Wilcox are both obviously young and it could be a pretty powerful corp for several years for us if things go right.

But oddly enough, I find us at a stage where we don't have a TON of needs provided we're healthy. I think, healthy, we have plenty of talent (with the exception of a couple spots, obviously). And I think that's a good place to be for this draft because it will enable us to draft for depth and future more so than plug and plays. And I think that's the benefit of having such a great draft this year (which also gives me a ton of hope for this draft too).

Just my .02 on everything.

Oh, and no more tight ends pls

11. Jihad Joe

I like what we have. The issue with Escobar, isnt really Escobar as much as it is that Garrett has never been able to effectively use a 2 TE offense. I think if Witten went down and we had to play Escobar in his role he would produce. Obviously not on Wittens level, but he would produce

12. Omen

Yup I agree Escobar was a beast in college. I think he'll be better than Hanna

13. Jihad Joe

I actually wouldnt be surprised to see Spencer back on a cheap 1 year deal. I dont think there is going to be a good market for him, and in his early 30's, can still cash in somewhere with a good year after 2014

Not that should have any real bearing on drafting a DE. It shouldnt

14. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

15. Jihad Joe

I like Jimmy alot. Him or Murray may be our best options for QBs to develop

Jimmy is a much better prospect then Romo was when Romo came out. Romo was a bit of a turnover machine at EI.

16. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

Aaron Murray is decent, but he is not and was never a first round caliber player.

Will Sutton would be a beast in the middle of that defense. Ive always been a big fan of Selvie, why you no like?

17. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Selvie is ok, and he's been productive for sure, but he isn't a long term solution. I don't see him being here passed next season when his contract expires.

18. Jihad Joe

Hes good but he isn't a bell cow pass rusher. When Ware and Hatcher got hurt, he wasn't as productive as when they were to focus

19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Would be shocked if jerry did not go after johnny football just because of all the money he could make off him,especially in texas.

20. Jihad Joe

Been whispers that Romo's back injury could be career altering. If there is truth to that, QB gets pushed up and could be a first round pick

I could see Bortles there