MLB Banning Home Plate Collisions

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Diesel44, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

The Major League Baseball Rules Committee has voted to ban collisions at home plate, subject to the expected approval of the MLB Players Association.

The rule, a response to recent concussion studies and serious injuries to catchers such as Buster Posey in 2011, will force base runners to slide into home plate.

It could be implemented in time for the 2014 season with MLBPA approval. If the players vote against the measure, MLB can unilaterally put the rule into effect for the 2015 season.

Source: SI.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Well this isn't unexpected. A good change in that it will legitimately protect guys, without taking too much away from the game in order to do so.

It is a fun part of the drama of a game, especially in close games - big dust up at home plate, arms and legs and gear flying everwhere and then either a ball comes trickling out of the scrum or the catcher raises his mitt in triumph to the cheers of the crowd...but even when I was a kid I never understood why you were allowed to blast through someone at home but not any other base. Makes more sense for the game this way IMO.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Torn on it, but I see where baseball is coming from. They are so few and far between and if there is a different way to do it, might as well eliminate the contact.

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I blame Buster Posey.

And I disagree with taking the only "contact" out of the game.

5. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Don't tell Pete Rose.

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

This makes more sense than anything football has done recently.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

they still have issues to iron out because if you take collisions out then the catcher cannot block the plate or baseline.

but yeah this needed to be done.

8. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Favorite collision was when Brian Jordan took out mike piazza out.

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I'll miss the exciting collisions, but I won't miss wondering if one of my favorite players just got hurt. I also agree that this must mean the end of the catcher blocking the plate.

10. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

It's not like it's taking any real drama out of the game. There will still be throws to the plate where the catcher has to tag. Same drama, minus the theatrics. I won't miss it.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

a tag vs a collision doesnt even compare.

12. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

To an extent, I understand this, but to another extent, I think this rule is BS. I understand the injuries that can come from this, BUT if a catcher is blocking the plate, that catcher deserves to get bulldozed over.

13. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Next up?

Breaking up the double play...

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

which is one of the details they have to workout. you cant have it both ways.

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

how about DP's where 2nd base is actually touched ?

16. Tarkus

Good question, smeags...

Don't recall if I've ever seen one of those.

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

that burns me up to no end when i see that crap. they're pros and should be able to make the play correctly. crap its called true in beer league softball leagues but not in MLB ?

18. Tarkus

Frosts my butt too...

They talk about the 'integrity of the game' while they let crap like this be the norm for the sake of entertainment.

19. DaBearsrule4ever

Is that going to be included in instant replay? If it isn't, it should be.

20. DaBearsrule4ever

It's real simple...Don't block the plate, and you won't get bulldozed over or atleast you shouldn't. If the catcher can't apply the tag fast enough, oh well.