Jay Cutler Versus Josh McCown - Who's Better

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Kurt, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Heard Mike and Mike talking about his.. Jaws said he would have stayed with Josh McCown.. lots of Bears fans are screaming for Josh too.. really?

Here's their stats and wins

Jay Cutler
    1. 4 wins - 4 losses
    2. 88.4 QB Ratio
    3. 13 TD to 18 INT

Josh McCown
    1. 3 wins - 4 losses
    2. 109.8 QB Rating
    3. 13 to 1 TD/INT ratio
    His best stretch of his long (since 2002) NFL career.

Jay was able to hang 32 points on Detroit, while Josh only hung 19 on them. Jay's history is much better and heck he's won more game THIS YEAR than Josh, so whats the deal ??

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Those numbers do not add up. The Bears are not 7-8.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I just checked the game logs.

In games started this year:

Cutler: 4-4
    McCown: 3-2

4. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

I fixed my first post, based on snaps played, not games started. either way....

5. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Yes, McCown has the hot hand. However though, I find it funny that the people complaining about Cutler starting are the same people two years ago where yelling "Cutty come back!" and would be doing the samething IF McCown was stinking up the joint. It was no secret that Cutler was going to start when he is healthy. Is it the right decision? We'll see...

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Mccown will probably get to play next game cause cutler seems to get hurt by the least little thing.

7. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Staying healthy for a whole season is Cutler's main achillies heal right now.

8. Badger

Badger Rookie

Id go with McCown too. He's playing better right now than Cutler ever has, not to mention McCown doesnt have the baggage and attitude problem that Cutler has.
    Id love nothing more than to see Cutler suck monkey balls against the Browns and get benched, especially considering Cutler refuses to give McCown any credit for playing well, instead praising Trestman's playcalling for the Bears' success.

9. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

[​IMG]

:icon_smile:

I'm not even going to post the ton of articles proving once again that you're just a butt hurt packer smacker but thanks for the weak effort.

Jay Cutler vs. Josh McCown — why some numbers don’t quite add up

It’s hard to dispute statistics that indicate Josh McCown has been more productive than Jay Cutler this season. If you break it down by possession and include Cutler’s pick-6 against the Redskins — when he didn’t get a chance to recover from a first-half flop — and the home game against the Lions when Cutler obviously was not 100 percent healthy, the Bears’ offense statistically has been more productive with McCown than Cutler. McCown’s passer rating this season is 103.6. Cutler’s is 88.4. That’s a bit of a clue.

But the argument exposes the fallacy of raw data. Over the course of an NFL season, there are several variables that impact the data. The argument that McCown has been more productive than Cutler ignores three key points:

1. Cutler’s first six starts came when the Bears’ offense was in a formative stage under Marc Trestman and Aaron Kromer. It was expected that the offense would grow as the season progressed and that Cutler would grow with it. Sure enough, Cutler’s two best starts statistically were in Games 5 and 6 against the Saints (128.1 passer rating) and the Giants (106.5).

McCown picked up the Bears’ offense when it was in a higher gear. His first start was in Game 8 against the Packers. His other starts came in Games 10-12. That’s a big difference in the first year of an offense.

2. Cutler faced opposing defenses in the first six weeks of the season that were fresher and closer to full strength. McCown has had the advantage of attrition — while the Bears have not had one other offensive starter miss a game this season, McCown has faced the Packers without Clay Matthews and Brad Jones; the Ravens without Haloti Ngata, Elvis Dumervil and Josh Bynes; the Rams without Cortland Finegan; and Vikings without Harrison Smith, Erin Henderson and Josh Robinson.

3. McCown has done most of his work against weaker defenses — including the Redskins (22nd in total defense), Packers (21st), Rams (19th) and Vikings (31st). He’s faced only one defense that ranks in the top 10 in total defense (the Ravens, ninth).

Cutler faced three defenses that currently rank in the top 10 — the Bengals (eighth), Saints (sixth) and Giants (10th). He also faced the Steelers, who are not the defense they’ve been, but still rank 12th in the NFL in total yards allowed.

LINK

86WARD and markaz like this.
  10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yeah, but is Alex Smith better than both?:icon_cheesygrin:

Alcohol_IV and CaptainStubing like this.
  11. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Combined... :icon_smile:

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Cutler is better. However, for the Bears, McCown is the better option for the immediate and near future. I feel like the Bears should franchise Cutler, trade him in the off season for a couple nice picks. Draft the future and let McCown keep whoever they draft seat warm. They can then use that cutler money to sign some free agents, save it to extend Jeffrey...whatever.

But overall, I don't even think it's up for a debate. Cutler is more talented.

Alcohol_IV likes this.
  13. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Maybe McCown does have a hot hand, but that certainly doesn't translate into him be a better player. Happens every year on the PGA Tour where some absolute unknown gets hot for about 3 weeks and then disappears. At the end of those three weeks he's certainly not the best player in the world, just had a good run.
    Should the Cards be looking at Cutler or McCown for the future, I sure as hell hope it's Cutler.

14. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

McCown numbers are inflated due to the game with Dallas. If josh carved that d up. cutler would have carved and served their collective heads on a platter.

Steve12, LebaneseFF and Kurt like this.
  15. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

McCown = 34 year old Journeyman playing with QB guru. (don't read too much into it)
    Cutler = 30 year old Franchise QB playing with QB Guru but INJURED! (also don't read too much into it)

The real questions for the bears should be do we stick with Cutler as our franchise QB or NOT? he is 30... that is Weeden territory :)

16. Badger

Badger Rookie

Im not sure what the bigger laugh is: Trestman the, "QB guru" or that Cutler is a, "franchise QB".

LebaneseFF and DawkinsINT like this.
  17. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Cutler is better than McCown but I am still not sold on Cutler. I think he's a talented qb who doesn't lead his team. I'd take an average qb who can lead his team to the promised land before I'd take Cutler. Toss a few winning names out there like Flacco, Dilfer....etc....don't have to have the most talent to win. Take a winner!