Redskins to Hire Jay Gruden As Head Coach

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Mike, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

The Washington Redskins search for a new head coach, which once looked like it could take several weeks, ended Thursday when they agreed to hire Jay Gruden, a league source told ESPN.

He replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired one day after the season ended. Gruden becomes the sixth coach hired by owner Dan Snyder in his 15 years; none have lasted more than four years.

Gruden, the Cincinnati Bengals' offensive coordinator, interviewed with Washington on Wednesday, one day after meeting with Tennessee. He also had visits scheduled with Minnesota and Detroit.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10267454/washington-redskins-hire-jay-gruden-coach

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Not really....right?

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

IMO it a good hire

4. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I wanted O'Brien so badly. I am really not sure how I feel about that this, better than Danny Smith I guess.

5. LebaneseFF

Conflicting reports on Defensive coordinator. Haslett or Raheem Morris????

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Good question. ESPN says Morris, while The Washington Post says Haslett. Stay tuned.

7. LebaneseFF

Rumors are starting to come out that Shanahan was doing some defensive play calling!

and we have a 27 year old as our offensive coordinator. Sean McVay!!!!!!!!!!!! This could be a genius move, I almost like this more than Gruden... ! it's bold, and he was done really well as a the TE coach.

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

personally,i hope it is neither freaking one!

9. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

when he actually does something,i'll give him credit.

10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

if a cowboy fan likes it,that is the kiss of death!;)

LebaneseFF likes this.
  11. LebaneseFF

Jim Haslett hired Jay Gruden to coach in the UFL in 2009
    Before coming to the Redskins as defensive coordinator, Haslett was head coach of the Florida Tuskers during the United Football League’s inaugural season in 2009. He hired Gruden to be his offensive coordinator.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

that is why gruden kept him.he used to work with morris in tampa,that is why he kept him.

13. LebaneseFF

The dots are connecting. Still not sure what to make out of all of this....

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

wasnt the defense an issue ?

15. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Daniel Snyder is that rich girl with daddy's credit card who walks into the mall, sees something trendy and just has to have it

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

the whole time haslett was there. that is why they should have just canned everybody but the rb coach.
    i may buy a hat for next season,but that is the last thing i will buy until they can stop looking like a clusterheck rolling down hill!

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

sorry man,snyder's daddy was not rich.and bruce allen hired this guy,snyder did not have anything to do with it really.

18. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

Wasn't my first choice but yeah he is here now so good luck to him

LebaneseFF likes this.
  19. smeags

smeags militant geek

could've def done worse.

for the record i'm estatic the skins didnt hire obrien.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Having QB problems, so you hire a guy who can't fix QB's. Smart. Gruden's just a patsy here anyway, he'll put up with RGSnyder's bullcrap for a couple years, try to make himself look good in other FO guys' eyes doing so despite his handicap, and parlay it into a legit job.