Yankees sign pitcher Mashiro Tanaka to 7 year $155M deal

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The Yankees spent much of 2013 scouting right-hander Masahiro Tanaka in Japan. After seeing him go 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA, they came away convinced his stuff would translate to the major leagues.

On Wednesday, before Tanaka has thrown a major league pitch, they confirmed their conviction by signing the 25-year-old starter to a seven-year contract. Tanaka's deal is worth $155 million, his agent, Casey Close, confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

The contract includes an opt-out clause after the fourth year. The Yankees will pay Tanaka's Japanese team, the Rakuten Golden Eagles, a $20 million posting fee.

The Yankees' offseason plan since the beginning of their organizational meetings in October was to go on a spending spree while also trying to drop payroll beneath the $189 million tax threshold for 2014. The Yankees have spent $491 million, which includes $153 million for Jacoby Ellsbury, $100 million (including his option) for Brian McCann and $45 million for Carlos Beltran.

"We're going to do what we've got to do to win," Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner, who is not as involved in day-to-day operations as his brother, Hal, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Source: ESPN New York

2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

While I think Tanaka was overpaid, whoever signed him was going to overpay to get him anyway.

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I was hoping the Dodgers would sign him to keep him out of the AL and the Rangers. Forget that.:(

4. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I hope he pans out well for the yanks

5. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

#HappyDance:jumping:

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I hope he ends up sucking.

7. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Seeing Tanaka plays for the Yankees, that would be great than we can laugh at the media for crapting a brick.

8. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

Trolls trolls everywhere and you guys wonder why your struggling to get people to post here...

9. DawkinsINT

What trolling? The guy has never played in the major leagues so there is not much known about him. People were true to the subject.

10. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

I hope he ends up sucking... really?

Why not just be happy for a guy and for a team?

If he signed with the Dodgers, or the Angels, or most any other team nobody would be saying that. It gets old.

11. ragman

IMO, it's just another attempt by the Yankees to buy a WS.

Not everyone likes the Yankees, Daniel.

12. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

I don't like the Dodger I didn't bash or wish bad on them or Clayton Kershaw when he signed a 10 year deal at the biggest AAV ever... but the Yankees were killed when they did with A Rod.

Don't have to like the Yankees, it's about respecting the Yankees fans that could potentially post here... unless you don't want us here, then let me know.

13. DawkinsINT

With the past success the Yankees have had and their payroll, why would you expect fans of other teams to be happy about this? You don't understand because you are a Yankees fan, but they are called the evil empire for a reason.

14. DawkinsINT

Any site that is full of fans from all teams will knock the Yankees any chance they get. Part of it is jealousy. I think most Yankees fans realize and expect that. If you only want to hear great things about the Yanks, that should be on a board of only their fans.

ragman likes this.
  15. ragman

I don't think it's all jealousy. I think a lot of anti-Yankees sentiment comes from the fact that the Yankees have a huge budget and can basically afford to get any player they want. A lot of fans, particularly in the smaller markets, resent that.

16. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I think a majority of anti- Yankee or Red Sox sentiment is due to their fans, bandwagon fans that is. As for the Tanaka signing, I'd have love to have seen the Cubs get him but it is what it is.

17. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

because we stole Jose Contreras away from the Boston Red Sox, wahhh. lol

18. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

my point still is though the Dodgers don't get that hate. The Angels don't get that hate. When the Red Sox were pushing huge payrolls out there they didn't get it.

When the Yankees signed A Rod to a 10 year deal the world lost their mind. When the Yankees didn't sign Cano to a 10 year deal the world lost their mind. When the Mariners did it nobody really seemed to care. When the Dodgers signed Kershaw to the greatest AAV in the history of the game it seemed like the game was happy about it. I don't get it, if it works for one it needs to work for them all. Nobody came up with flashy little nicknames for the Angels when they signed Pujols or Hamilton, nobody has a nickname for the Mariners spending money like the US GOVT, etc.

19. DawkinsINT

I'm a Phillies fan, FYI.

20. DanielBurch

DanielBurch 2nd String

I know, that's just where the name came from.