No More Windows XP Support After April 8

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ragman, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Microsoft has announced that there will be no more Windows XP support after April 8. This is significant because 95% of the world's ATMs use Windows XP. This could be as bad. I imagine hackers are just licking their chops for this date.

markaz likes this.
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Is any version of Windows supported?

bigsexyy81 likes this.
  3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018
    Windows 8 January 9, 2018
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015
    Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Extended support: April 11, 2017 Mainstream support no longer supported
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Extended support: April 8, 2014

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It basically means Microsoft will stop sending updates and service packs, including security updates which are the most common ones.

What Rags says is critical, because he's right. Most of the ATMs in the world use this OS (I've ran into ATMs that still run Windows 2000). I'm currently in a project to migrate ATM's from a big international bank to Windows 7, but it will take at least 6 more months.

XP has been by far the best Windows version. I still run it in my home PC. I don't operate anything important in it, now I mostly use my phone, so I'm not upgrading until my Frankenstain PC finally dies and I have to get a new one. I bought that baby in 2003 and I keep it running with spare parts from other computers. I might upload a pic, but @Fez has seen it :D

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I was more being sarcastic.

Our 80GB Dell Dimension Desktop is still running it and I agree...it's the best version...

6. markaz

I thought 2000 was the best...for me anyway. 7's not too bad and I bought a 7 disc because my computers came with the OS OEM. Tried 8 and I find it no better than that abortion they called Millenium (ME).

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

7 is okay. Vista was the freaking worst thing ever...lol.

8. markaz

Didn't think Vista was too bad except that is was such a resource hog. Unless you had 4GB of RAM you were cooked.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I liked Vista at first but after a period of time, it just continued to get buggy...Couple times files just went missing and it wouldn't run right and I had to do a whole re install. Then it wouldn't accept the updates from Windows. Another complete install. Did the same thing...no updates and then a virus that wiped out everything...after that I bought a new hard drive and went to 7...lol.

10. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I haven't had any problems with Vista.

What happens when all support for all systems goes away?

BTW, I've also heard that in the next 3 to 4 years, home PCs will be a thing of the past. More and more people are using tablets. In 3 to 4 years, the only place you will be able to see PCs are offices.

markaz likes this.
  11. markaz

I never had one problem with Vista either and liked it. Still trying to find another motherboard to replace on one that crapped out and I will reinstall Vista.

When "support runs out" you'll no longer receive updates for that OS, especially the security updates. Personally...BFD. Just have a good firewall AND a good anti-virus program and you'll be fine.

I agree that everything is moving to tablets (cheaper COGS) and will hate it when that happens. Just bone up on doing your own PC repairs.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wouldn't mind desktops,leaving...but tablets only would be brutal...

13. markaz

I only like PC's because I can work on all the hardware myself, whereas laptop can get dicey.

14. markaz

What AV program do you prefer/use?

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I believe at the time it was McAfee. I have Norton through XFinity now.

16. markaz

Just an FYI, if you ever have worms, Trojan Horses, viruses ,etc. show up, you may want to try Microsoft Security Essentials. I really checked into ALL of the AV programs (free and for pay) and the majority of IT people swear by it. Been using it for 4 years and have yet to be invaded. Just a thought if you ever think about switching. Is Norton thru XFinity a pay to play or is it free?

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's free an it's the full thing. I had a pad version and it's identical. Thing is, a lot of customers don't even know it is offered...

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

PCs will still be around. Tablets are fine for casual users (basically internet only or those little app games) but then you have the gamers, workers, coders, artists and anyone else that wants or prefers the power and performance you can only get from a PC or laptop.

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

Oh and I have Norton as well, got it free with the computer but it's about to end. What's the best free AV and firewall or is there one really worth paying for?

20. markaz

1. Microsoft Security Essentials (one of the few Gates products that I endorse) - FREE
    2. AVG Free Edition - close second behind MSE.
    3. For firewalls you still can't beat Zone Alarm (free). It's excellent.

I used to subscribe to ESET NOD32 which is a highly touted AV program. After using it awhile I ran MSE and it picked up stuff NOD32 missed. Personal opinon of course, but I don't think there's a pay program that can beat the above AV programs and ZA. And god knows...I've tried darn near all of them.

BoltzRule likes this.