Keeper Question

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by peterjason, Aug 17, 2015.

1. peterjason

peterjason DP 2018 Premium Member

Hi Guys,
    Returning League Champion and my keeper choices are evident of that. I would like your opinion of my keepers. We can keep a guy that was drafted last season at two rounds higher (so a 6th round would count as a 4th round this year)

My league is as follows: Starting positions (1 QB), 2 (RB), 2 (WR or TE), 2 (WR, TE, RB) plus a DEF and KICKER.
    PTS: 1 PPR, 1 pt for 10 yards throw or catch/run, 6 pts for TD's

I draft 12/13, 36/37, 60/61, 84/85, 108/109, 132/133, 156/157

Possible Keeper / Cost to me
    Dez Bryant / Round 1 (12)
    Jeremy Hill / Round 6 (61)
    Leveon Bell / Round 7 (84)
    Rob Gronkowski / Round 7 (84)
    Brandin Cooks / Round 6 (61)
    Emmanuel Sanders / Round 5 (60)
    Jordan Matthews / Round 12 (133)

2. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

If I were to order them.
    1. Bell
    2. Dez
    3. Gronk/Hill

I like Hill, but I like the proven track record of Bell, Dez, and Gronk a bit more. I ranked Bell ahead of Dez and Gronk because of the round you'd get him at. Dez isn't getting much value as a round 1 keeper, plus you may be able to draft him around pick 12 anyways, and I personally hate not having a first round pick. I put Gronk at 3 because I never respect the TE position in fantasy, plus it appears that you don't even have to draft a TE at all, so the health risk with him isn't worth not keeping a top WR or RB.

Another reason for Bell, if you can keep guys multiple years, Bell as a 5th round keeper for 2016 is also a potential steal, Dez you wouldn't be able to keep in 2016. So with this logic, Hill probably should be bumped up a bit, but I think I'll leave it as it is.

Matthews is just a guy that interests me, but I wouldn't keep him over your other options. I feel he is being under valued in most drafts, and if (BIG IF) Bradford can stay healthy I think he will be the guy to lead that offense to a big year.

3. peterjason

I get Bell and agree no question. But I get two. So Keeping Dez doesn't gain me nearly as much as Hill or Gronk does it? If I keep Bell and Hill then with picks 12 and 13 I can go WR/WR. I end up with two good RB's and two decent WR's right...

If I keep Bell/Dez I then draft RB OR WR at the turn and I have to wait until pick 36.

Does that make sense? Shouldn't I be forgetting Dez thinking I'll get more value out of Gronk or Hill with the later round value. Plus I can possibly get a different elite WR at 12 and 13?

Let me know. remember 1 QB, 2 RB, then 2 WR/TE and 2 WR/TE/RB

4. SNPokc

Didn't realize you get two. I'm leaning towards Dez over Hill. Hill stands a better chance at being available to draft over Dez at 13. There will be 22 keepers other than your 2, so I doubt many top WR will be available. Also, if you do keep Hill, don't lock yourself into WR/WR with your first two picks. Make sure the value is right for what's available. If there is a stud RB around for some reason I wouldn't hesitate. You can potentially start 4 RB's or WR's. Take what value is given.

But I do see what you are saying. Two top RB's late value and hoping to get a WR1 plus more likely a WR2 right behind it. That could build a good roster. But two top 5 players are respective positions + the same potential top WR or RB isn't a bad start either.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I would go easily Hill and Bell. Two top RBs and then you just draft WRs in the first few rounds. Could you have a chance at drafting Dez #1?

6. peterjason

Glad Gronk is out of the conversation because I just realized I can't keep him (he's been kept 3 years and must reenter the draft).
    I did my homework since my last post. Here is who may be available at 12/13 if I keep L. Bell and J. Hill.

RB's with projected points in my league
    Marshawn Lynch 272
    Justin Forsett 268
    Jeremy Hill 267
    DeMarco Murray 262
    Matt Forte 261
    LeSean McCoy 231
    C.J. Spiller 230

WR's
    Randall Cobb 298
    A.J. Green 296
    Jordy Nelson 296
    Calvin Johnson 268
    Alshon Jeffery 267
    T.Y. Hilton 266
    DeAndre Hopkins 256
    Mike Evans 254

Both Luck and Rodgers can be there too as well as the top TE's (remember I don't have to take a TE but can use up to 4).

If any QB's go then more WR and RB's become available. So who do you like me to target?

7. SNPokc

After seeing what is potentially available I'd keep Hill and Bell. You could land two of Dez Jordy Green or Megatron. If only one is available then you'd likely get a third stud Rb as well. It's the smarter play.

8. peterjason

Not sure how to judge the RB's after AP, Lacy, Bell, and Charles. Who are your next targets and about when (ie before what top WR's). I like WR's in my league as a PPR. Last year I often started 4, Gronk was one of those 4. I mean looking below I go down my WR board and like guys down to J. Matthews before Forsett and down...

Marshawn Lynch
    Justin Forsett
    Jeremy Hill
    DeMarco Murray
    Matt Forte
    LeSean McCoy
    C.J. Spiller
    Lamar Miller
    Frank Gore
    Andre Ellington
    Mark Ingram
    Melvin Gordon
    Giovani Bernard
    Todd Gurley
    Alfred Morris
    Carlos Hyde
    Jonathan Stewart
    Latavius Murray
    Tevin Coleman- 7th

Randall Cobb
    A.J. Green
    Jordy Nelson
    Calvin Johnson
    Alshon Jeffery
    T.Y. Hilton
    DeAndre Hopkins
    Mike Evans
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Brandin Cooks
    Andre Johnson
    Jordan Matthews
    Julian Edelman
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Jeremy Maclin
    Keenan Allen
    Brandon Marshall
    DeSean Jackson
    Allen Robinson

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I noticed no CJ Anderson on your list?

10. peterjason

CJ Andersen is a keeper for sure so I didn't include him.

11. terpshockey21

terpshockey21 DFS Superhero Fantasy Guru

Probably unpopular opinion on this one, but I would keep Le'Veon and Jordan Matthews. Matthews at that price is a joke. You can grab a very good WR/RB combo at picks 12/13. You get the potential #1 back in all of fantasy as a late 7th rounder and a potential top 15 WR in the 12th. Especially if you can keep them both the following year for a 5th and a 10th respectively, you would be sitting pretty.

12. Samson

Samson Lifetime Member Premium Member

Do you know your raft position prior to declaring keepers? That will make a big difference just because you will know who you are likely to get.

13. peterjason

Yes, that is why I included him to start with but then compare him to J. Hill.
    J. Hill scores 267 (6th round), I could probably draft him at 12 still but I am not a fan of other RB's at 12/13
    Matthews scores 246 (12th round). I can probably still draft him in the 3rd.
    Fantasy knuckle heads preach get reward and minimize risk. J. Hill risk is Gio and Matthews risk is Bradford and Chip. Reply pleaes

14. Samson

No matter what Hill is getting goal line it no contest vs Mathews IMO. Also, you other post said you can get 2 top tier WR back to back so I say do that an just be stacked from jump.

15. terpshockey21

terpshockey21 DFS Superhero Fantasy Guru

Last years points dont matter. We're talking about who would be the most valuable for this season and beyond. You are getting a 9 round value on Matthews and a 4 round value on Hill. In keeper and dynasty, I usually lean towards the wide receiver because they are safer on a year to year basis. Yes, Bradford could get hurt, but do not forget Matthews put up his best numbers with Officer Butt Fumble last season. Matthews is as safe as any receiver in football when it comes to being involved in the offensive gameplan under Chip Kelly, he WILL be utilized. Also, you have the ability to start four wide receivers a week with a full point PPR setup. You can get RB values in the draft (Woodhead, Spiller, Vereen come to mind) while loading up your WR depth for this season.

Like I said in my previous post, this is my opinion and it's ultimately your decision to make. Could Hill outperform Matthews? Absolutely. But getting Matthews in the double digit rounds is highway robbery and running backs always have a higher bust rate than big, strong, fast receivers

16. Samson

At least you have an easy decision with Bell.

The Mathews at 12 big issue IMO is Bradford. I have zero faith in him. You can keep him the next 2 more years at a low postion.

I like Hill at 6 just because I see him getting the rock, but Gio is in the wings. Hill will be closer to his draft true draft postion next year and will have more tread on the tires.

In the end I feel it is somewhat of a coin flip with these two as to what happens. I think Hill is the guy that comes out on top. Mathews is less risk because of his draft postion.

With your drafting and wire work you can likely end up not even keeping Mathews or Hill next year so I don't know how much weight I put on that.

Dez is a beast, but you give up vaule IMO. With Dez you have 3 top tier guys maybe even 3 number 1 tier players which is just bananas. Without Dez you get 4 players that should go in the top 1/2 tier I take that.

17. peterjason

Now I feel the pressure to make the call:)
    Just typing "out loud" here.
    Keep Hill as a 6th. Then I draft two WR's at 13/14 and hope to get Matthews at 36.
    1st=J. Nelson
    2nd=Calvin Johnson
    3rd=J. Matthews (A. Johnson, J. Edelman, E. Sanders, J. Maclin)
    4th=L. Miller, F. Gore, Ellington, CJ SpillerM. Ingram, L. Murray
    5th= Best available QB
    6th=J. Hill
    7th=L. Bell

Or keep Matthews and end up like this:
    1st=J. Nelson
    2nd=J. Hill (Lynch, D. Murray, Forsett)
    3rd=A. Johnson, J. Edelman, E. Sanders, J. Maclin
    4th=L. Miller, F. Gore, Ellington, CJ SpillerM. Ingram, L. Murray
    5th= Best available QB
    6th=A. Abdulla, J. Bell, Charles Johnson, J. Landry,
    7th=L. Bell