Point-Cunterpoint: The Madison Bumgarner “No-Hitter”

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by SportsChump, May 13, 2021.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Oh, Major League Baseball, how you disappoint me. Let me count the ways.

What’s most impressive about our national bad time is that it continues to inexplicably hold on to its old school fans (many of whom, like me, are jumping ship) while simultaneously convincing a younger generation that they (the institution, not the players) give a flying leap about them… and more importantly, that their record books still hold merit when nothing could be further from the truth.

Here’s the latest way the sport has managed to preserve its storied records books and pull the wool over its fans’ eyes.

Come debate at: http://sportschump.net/2021/05/13/p...ner-no-hitter-by-j-dub-and-sportschump/22762/

TJ likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I asked my dad about this. Him being a fan and follower of baseball for 60 years now. He just turned 66 last week, he claims to be 65, as the covid year shouldn't count, but that's an argument for another time.

His ruling: a 7-inning no-hitter shouldn't count, for the same reason your buddy bug said: what if a game was cancelled after the 7th inning and there was a no-hitter going on? Should those count too? I don't have the numbers and I don't know if it has happened, but this is...what? MLB's 200th season? I'm sure it has happened more than once.

So I'll side with dad and your buddy. A 7-inning no-hitter is not a no-hitter. Sorry, chump.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

The problem, Teej, is that the game wasn't cancelled.

It was a complete game, per Major League Baseball.

One in which no hits were allowed.

Now you've gone and given J-Dub a big head. Bigger than it already is.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

But it wasn't 9 innings either, and the rule book is very clear on that.

As a side note, the 7-inning double header games have been standard in the mexican league for years now. The same argument comes up when there's a 7-inning no no-hitter...