The 2024 Seattle Mariners

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by TJ, Mar 27, 2024.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Mariners were walked off yesterday at Oakland, and their record fell to 69-69. That's a...nice record, I guess.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Marines were walked off in Oakland...AGAIN!!!!! xD

DawkinsINT likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

This team, man. This stupid team. The meme "the Mariners average 15+ runs per series...only problem is that they usually score them all in one game" remains true after thrashing the Athletics 16-2. Then today they won again to split the series. The Astros lost too so we're suddenly 4 games back.

Just when I think I'm out...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

We got a glimpse of the old Julio last night. 4 hits and the go ahead HR in the 8th. Makes you wonder what has happened to him all year.

M's remain 3.5 games back with time running out. I still don't think they make it.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

12 games to go. 4 games behind Houston in the West. 2 games behind the final wild card.

The Mariners, winners of 3 straight games, start a critical series against the Yankees at home tonight. The rotation has been re-shuffled with Castillo going to the IL and now Brian Woo, who started the year as the #5 starter seems to be the ace. He's having an amazing season. He took a perfect game against San Diego to the 7 inning the other day. His only problem is that he can't stay healthy, that's why he's on a pitch count. I wanted the perfecto to continue just to see if they'd leave him out there, but as soon as it was broken, he was pulled.

It will be interesting...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Mariners lost the first two against the Yankees in excruciating ways. Last night they clinched a playoff spot. Always nice to see your opponent celebrating in your field...

I think now it's safe to say it's over...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I just want to say something, non-Mariners related...

Ohtani having the first 50/50 season ever while recovering from my surgery (TJ surgery) is really amazing. I thought no player of any sport would be worth a 700 million dollar contract but once he starts pitching again, he might be worth it. Maybe next year he'll have the first 50/50/200 season (50 HRs, 50 stolen bases, 200 Ks while pitching).

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

That was perhaps the greatest single game performance of all time. He’s an absolute legend.

TJ likes this.
  9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It really was. People want to take it away from him as his last AB was against a pitching position player but that was not his fault and he's a pro.

As for the Ms, yesterday they blew a 5-run lead against Texas. A micro-cosmos of the whole season if you ask me. 6 games to go, 5 behind Houston, 3 behind the wild card taking tie-breakers into account. No more margin of error. We start a series in Houston and they could clinch the division if they win it.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Another reminder of how people don't understand statistics and probability.

After beating the Astros last night the M's playoff chances doubled. From 6% to 11.9% Now everybody is unironically saying we'll make it.

Anyway...5 to go, 4 back in the division, 1.5 back in the wild card. This team refuses to die and the last game might mean something after all...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Astros clinched the division in another blown lead by the M's last night. The division we led by 10 games at one point.

Now we need a miracle. Win the remaining 4 games and hope the Twins lose 3.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Mariners had the day off yesterday. Got eliminated anyway. Needed either the Tigers or Twins to lose and they both won.

HOW DO YOU GET FIRED ON YOUR DAY OFF?!?!?!

This time they didn't make it to game 162 alive like the past 3 years. A failure of a season no matter how you look at it.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I went through all of this thread and I can't believe I never mentioned it.

Back in june we blew an 8-0 lead against the Royals. The bullpen imploded and they walked us off, winning 10-9.

That game, as it turns out, was the tipping point of the season. We ended up missing the playoffs by one game against the third wild card team. That team is the Royals.

A very fitting end of a frustrating season...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Cal Raleigh, our beloved Big Dumper, has been nominated for the AL Catcher Gold Glove. 95% of the baseball I watched this year was Mariners game, and I feel with enough authority to say that if he doesn't win it, it will be a robbery.

(Just give us something, please).

DawkinsINT likes this.
  15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I don't have a favorite for this year World Series, but I never liked the stereotype that if you're a Cowboys fan, you're also a Yankees fan so I guess I'll root for the Dodgers. But I won't feel good about it.

At least it's not the Astros.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  16. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I’m rooting for the Dodgers too. I can never root for the Yankees, even if they were playing the Mets or Braves.

TJ likes this.