Build your team

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Dougerrrr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

You have three choices on offense and three on defense to build your NFL team around.......Who do you pick?
    Looking for current NFL players at this time.....Maybe we can start one with players from any Era some time but for now.....three on offense and three on defense....who's your team built around?

2. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

Tom Brady
    LT
    Steve Smith

Julius Peppers
    Jonathan Vilma
    Champ Bailey

3. JoeKnows

JoeKnows Resident CFL Writer

I want Tom Brady. He's been virtually unflappable (last year's AFC title game notwithstanding), and seems to be able to be a competent leader without having to be vocal or have outstanding physical attributes.

LaDainian Tomlinson is another pretty obvious choice, as he can catch and run with the best of them, and has proven pretty durable.

Now for my upset pick on the offensive side. How about a top-notch lineman like San Diego's Marcus McNeill? A great blend of youth and proven ability.

Defense has me going with Julius Peppers as a playmaker on the defensive line. I don't want to go too old here, but Peppers still has the dynamic physical skills to make big plays early.

Brian Urlacher barely beats out Derrick Brooks for me for Linebackers simply because of age. Both have great skills, and Urlacher has proven to have a ton of speed as well, being a former college safety.

Troy Polamalu is in the right age group and has the talent to be my secondary pick, and there really aren't any major holes in his game. He can do just about anything well.

Note that I'm hoping to be a playoff team within 3 to 5 years, and having players that will retire before that defeats the purpose of building around them.

4. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Good Choices guys....here's who I'd go with....

Offense
    Tom Brady at Qb.....obvious choice here....talented and leader and cool under the pressure. Seems to have a great grasp on the game and is a winner.
    Brian Westbrook at running back.....very similar to Tomlinson but I think he has done more on a team that prefers to pbutt. I like the way he toughs it out when injured also and he seems to come up big when he is asked.
    Then I'd have to take a wr.....or left tackle but...I'll go with a wr and that would be Marvin Harrison.....You've all seen what Brady can do with a wr who has talent....he's even made less talented ones better but I'd take Harrison because of his consistency and great hands....he has the speed to go deep and break a game open also and he would be a good leader for the rest of the wr's

Defense
    Although Peppers is a good choice I really like Jared Allen from KC....he gets after the ball and always seems to be in on the play or right there....can pressure the qb and stop the run and young enough that he should be around a long time....keep him off the juice and keep him on the field though.
    Linebacker....You need a leader here and a hitter and that would be a tough choice between Bruschi and Urlacher.....Guess I'd go with Urlacher though just because you'd get more years out of him. I think Bruschi's heart and leadership would be great though. He's another coach on the field for you.
    The last one is easy for me.....Troy.....great hitter....sense for the ball....can cover and gets a pick or two here and there. Doesn't lose his head when things get rough and can get after the passer. One of those players that you have to develop a game plan especially for....offenses always want to know where he is....
    My choices...

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

QB: Tom Brady
    RB: Brian Westbrook (can do everything)
    WR: Steve Smith

Defense:
    Linemen : Julius Peppers (he can virtually do anything you need him to)
    Line Backer: Brian Urlacher
    Safety: Ed Reed (anytime he touches the ball he make magic happen)

6. Dam8610

Dam8610 Starter

Offense: West Coast/Air Coryell mix

QB: Peyton Manning
    LT: Jammal Brown
    C: Jeff Saturday

Defense: Tampa 2

DE: Mario Williams
    UT: Tommie Harris
    S: Bob Sanders

Regardless of the offensive scheme run, the 3 most important positions on offense are QB, LT, and C, and I have the best QB in the NFL, the best LT under age 30 (considering health, which eliminates Levi Jones), and the best C in the NFL.

On defense, my team will run the Tampa 2, so I need a great defensive line, an intimidating safety, and fresh, young legs. All of the players I've selected are extremely talented and no older than 26, and 2 of 3 are the best players in the NFL at the 3 most important positions to a Tampa 2 defense, and the other one is on his way to being one of if not the NFL's elite at his position.

7. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

I thought Pennington > Brady. :redface:

8. L.Johnson #27

L.Johnson #27 C-H-I-E-F-S - G-A-L-A-X-Y

QB: Payton Manning
    RB: Larry Johnson
    WR: Dwayne Bowe (he will rock in future) :icon_smile:

Defense:
    Lineman: Julius Peppers
    Line Backer: Derrick Johnson
    Safety:Ed Reed