Emmitt Smith = Mumbling, Bumbling Buffoon

Discussion in 'NFL Smack Central' started by SRW, Sep 23, 2007.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

"You cannot change the spots of a leopard"

ESPN has become almost unwatchable and it's because of hires like this. I found myself switching the channel numerous times this morning when the dynamic duo of Keyshawn Johnson and Emmitt Smith got into a "battle of words". It was bad enough that I actually missed Michael Irvin....

2. NJeMKay

NJeMKay Starter

Michael Irvin actually wasn't that bad... At least he was good in front of a camera and didn't stumble on every sentence.

3. pacoltsguy

pacoltsguy Guest

Give Emmitt a break--he was one of the best football players that you ever had the privelege to watch.

I just smile when he makes one of his gaffs. You know why?

He was one hell of a football player!

He's the Yogi Berra of football!

4. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

I Guess. Maybe someone should talk about Tiki ' making a living ' cause i'm sure, Emmitt doesn't need a TV Camera to make a living, i'm sure he's probably already there. Tiki is freaking horrible to watch.

5. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Unfortunately....the talent pool of former players, that has never been that deep, has been made even shallower by all the different pre-game and past game and analysis shows etc etc etc......there aren't enough good on air personalities in the former player ranks and it isn't that a lot of the players don't know what they are talking about it's that they can't get it over on tv.
    Anyone notice that The Rock has been on a lot of football shows recently? I know he's promoting his new movie but I wonder if he isn't testing the waters for his next career move. He's a former player with personality and is very familiar with being in front of a camera......just a thought.
    But as far as Emmitt goes....Yogi Berra is a good comparison.

6. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

ESPN needs to get rid of Sean Clownsbury and Keyshawn Johnson, too.

7. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

And replace them with______?? We all like to complain about these guys but like I said in previous post, there are so many former players as announcer and analysts that I think they are looking for personality and flamboyance over intelligence.....either way it isn't working very well. Surely there are some more players out there that can replce these guys but who? They have to come across half way intelligent on the tv screen.
    I actually like Troy Aikman now.....never did as a Cowboy but he shoots pretty straight from what I see. Tells you why or how a play can work and....isn't scared to talk about how dumb a team is for making certain moves. I saw him on PTI and he came out and said that signing Tank Johnson to the Cowboys isn't a move he agreed with.
    Not easy for all these shows to find a good former player that can express ideas easily.

8. SRW

I think networks need to depend less on getting ex-jocks to be on TV. Why not get beat writers, radio people, etc.....anything but these meatheads.

9. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

I can't stand any of them. Like someone said awhile back, working at ESPN is like being in a fraternity. I can't stand the fact that they bring these goofballs in.

You're idea would be nice SteveRob, but it will never happen. ESPN knows that these guys are superstars and everyone knows who they are. You bring a couple of guys who know what they are talking about, but no one knows, they would never get ratings.

The one thing that bothers me is they never get analysis or opinions from people OUTSIDE of the network. Is it going to kill them to talk to doctor not affiliated with them?

Not to mention Chris Mortenson's sources have been totally unreliable thus far.

Tony Kornheiser is starting to wear thin as well on MNF.

OK, my rant is over lol

10. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

ESPN did have Woody Paige andwhatshisname on Cold Pizza for a while but Woody must have worn out his welcome. He was probably a good writer with a quirky personality that they thought would be good but....I think he wears on peoples nerves.....so who do you bring in? I like that one writer from boston area that espn is using a lot too...he's a regular on around the horn....anyone know who i mean? I agree that sportswriters would be better. That's the way they used to do it. Then the ex-jocks took over.....blame Dandy Don and Frank Gifford I guess.

11. Cletusaurus

Cletusaurus YES! YES! YES!

Are you talking about Bob Ryan or Michael Smith? Both of them come across as very well-spoken.

And I cannot stand Woody god**mn Paige. His entire "schtick" is being a complete doofus that occasionally makes a good point- and that stupid freaking chalkboard behind his head wasn't funny from day one.

As for Emmitt... didn't he get a degree from Florida? I thought Emmitt was a smart guy until he decided to start speaking. It's really sad to see (or hear, I guess) how completely stupid these ex-players are. I'd be entertained as hell to hear him and Deion Sanders get into a war of words, with special guest referee Marcus Allen.

12. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

I don't care who replaces Sean Clownsbury & Keyshawn Johnson.

Just get them freaking bozos off tv.

13. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Michael Smith....that's it. I like him.

14. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

All of the aforementioned are light years ahead of Skip Bayless. The only reason I see him employed is to stir up controversy. His opinions are so ridiculous sometimes, it's baffling.

15. NJeMKay

NJeMKay Starter

Amen to Salisberry

16. tigersucs

tigersucs nfl-fans refugee

Merrill Hoge for the MNF booth. Hoge and Jaworski are the best 2 ESPN has IMO. The others have no clue even as ex-players.

Another one I want to see gone from ESPN is Tom Jackson.

17. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Gotta disagree with the Jackson opinion...I like him well enough. When he isn't goofing with Berman he does have good opinions and can express them. Compared to Emmit....he's GREAT!

18. SRW

More "wisdom' from Emmitt:

19. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

"If you want to stay perfect, you cannot go undefeated with a blemish on your record."

Classic.

20. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Ok....I know this is about Emmitt but.....Steve Young pulled a few stunts on ESPN tonight that were interesting. They had split screen early on in Sportscenter and during th intro Young was rolling his eyes and smirking. I don't think he knew he was on camera and they quickly took the split screen down and then later in Monday Night countdown....he starts talking about how stable the Falcoms organization and team have been ....up until this year. He compared them to the Patriots and Eagles...not sure exactly how the Falcons compare to the Patriots as far as stability but....I sure don't see it at all. Mora and Vick era was a stable team? Why aren't either of them there any more? Wasn't it last year that Vick was fingering fans? When was the last time a Patriot player flipped off one of his own fans?.....not sure where Young was going with that comment...