Origin Of The Name Packers?

Discussion in 'NFL Smack Central' started by dolphindude13, Jan 2, 2008.

1. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist. Now we see why the Bears - Packers rivalry is so intense. Gives new meaning to the Green Bay "fudge" Packers.:icon_cheesygrin:

2. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

I was hoping for an actual explanation... :club:

3. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

yea me 2 but that is funny as hell i gotta rep that if i can.

4. dolphindude13

Well hell, here ya go!:icon_cheesygrin:

Packers Nickname Origin

In the Green Bay Press-Gazette on Aug. 29, 1919, two weeks before the team's first organized game, sports editor and Packers co-founder George Calhoun first publicly identified the team as the "Indian Packers."

Curly Lambeau received $500 from his employer, the Indian Packing Co., for uniforms and equipment, and for use of the company's lot for practice. In exchange, Lambeau and Calhoun agreed to call the team "Packers." Early fans, many of whom were working-class citizens, immediately embraced the name, widely publicized by Calhoun.

Calhoun also called them simply "Indians" briefly in 1919, but that moniker seemed to fold with the company, soon purchased --along with the team -- by Acme Packing Co. In 1921, the team's first season in what is now the NFL, its owners had "Acme Packers" put on the jersey, setting the name in stone.

While "Packers" has served as the primary nickname since the team's embryonic stages, fans and sportswriters also have called them the Big Bay Blues, or the Bays. Lambeau in 1922 applied with the name "Blues," but public opinion quickly vetoed him.

A packer is someone who works at a packing house, an establishment for slaughtering, processing and packing livestock into meat, meat products and byproducts. "Green Bay Packers" is the longest standing team name in NFLhistory.

5. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Nothing to add, dd had done his homework :icon_mrgreen:

6. dolphindude13

I do think based on the 2 games this year.....that the roles in the picture should be reversed!:icon_eek:

7. panthergrl

panthergrl One and Only GTO Woman

OMG DD u have me pissing myself with that one!!!! Kudos and a rep your way!!!

8. FinFan_23

FinFan_23 Team Veteran

Based on their 2 games it should be Favre taking it from Urlacher.:icon_cheesygrin:

9. dolphindude13

^^^Yep....Urlacher did have a couple good games against them.

10. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

Yes he did - good job dd!

11. dolphindude13

This thread is creating havoc.....I created it in Off-topic forum........SRW moved to the NFC discussion forum....and now Wide Right moves it to the smack forum.....I don't know if any of us know where to put it!:icon_cheesygrin:

12. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

It's a powerful picture. :icon_mrgreen:

13. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

14. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

Classic runner Dolphindude

15. Rush

Rush Dexter > All

The Bears have owned the Packers since Lovie Smith came to town. 5 for 6, and the game the Bears last season on New Years Eve was one in which we had no starters in. Griese even came in lol.

Bears > Packers

I'll take a 2-0 year against the Packers over making the playoffs.

16. dolphindude13

Wow, that's a bold last statement. I know a lot of Bears fans and I think they would say the complete oposite. I know in my case I'd take 0-2 vs the Pats or Jets and make the playoffs anyday than just beating them twice in the regular season.:icon_eek:

17. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

If you have nothing to add, why post?

18. dolphindude13

If you had nothing to add, why question his post?:poke: