Vikings Could Look To Shore Up Pass Rush With 1st Pick

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by TDJets72027, Jan 5, 2008.

1. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...-floridas-derrick-harvey-to-shore-up-pass-ru/

2. They say this every year... I'd rather go out and get a proven vet then draft another rookie.

3. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

I really thought Udeze was going to make some noise in the NFL....

4. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

yeah i seen him play once when we played them this year and i didnt hear his name once they need chris long he is the best end in the draft but calais cambell is a monster 6 foot 8 he could be a freak of nature in the future.

5. He's been injured alot. Same with James. Both have shown flashes but haven't really had the chance. They are both good against the run, go figure.:icon_rolleyes:

6. Rush

Rush Dexter > All

They are going to need a serious pass rush to get past the revamped Bears Offensive line :)

7. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I hope they do go after a defensive lineman. One less team in between us and DeSean Jackson.

8. eaglesrule4ever

dude i want desean jackson so bad i hope we can get him not only do we need a reciever but we need a kick returner to but if hes not there i hope we can get limas sweeds in the first round.

9. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Both would be good picks, but I like Jackson more cause he's more of a vertical threat and can make an immediate impact on special teams. I could see both of them being there when we go on the clock or both of them going in the top 10. They had their problems with injuries this year and the combine is going to play a huge part in where they end up being picked. I'm hoping Jackson stumbles a bit during his 40 so he falls to us.

10. eaglesrule4ever

yea im hoping so to but andy reid the last time he drafted a widereciever in the first round it didnt work out we drafted freddie mitchell and the next pick the colts took reggie wayne that sucks.

11. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Calais Campbell would be alright by me, despite him being a Cane. :icon_cheesygrin:

12. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

yea hes a monster

13. King Norse

King Norse Rave-on

This is my first post, so I'll try and make it useful...try :icon_cheesygrin:

In my opinion we have drafted DE's with our #1 in the past, only for injuries and an overriding philosophy to stop the run to stint their development as pass rushers. I would prefer us to be delving into the FA market for a proven pass rusher, someone like Jared Allen or Justin Smith if they hit the streets. Spending another #1 investment would be understandable, but avoidable as far as I can see. We would be better off looking to bring in a top drawer coverage safety, but none of them seem to have separated from the pack, and anything more than a late #2 on the top prospect is unlikely.

With this in mind, I think the best option for us is to either go BPA or trade down to get draft pick value for a player we need. I'm hoping for us to be active in Free Agency, and this should offset the need for a productive draft, as we have had two of those in the last two years, and so luckily, with a more average draft class this year, we will not necessarily need to find the starters in the draft, but in Free Agency instead.

14. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

^excellent post

Jared Allen would be a very nice fit but i dont think it will happen.

rep to you

15. Rips Vikes

Rips Vikes GO VIKES!!!

Welcome to the board King Norse, good post. I think we should trade our #1 pick for a QB or WR if possible. Otherwise pick BPA and hopefully it's a safety.

16. King Norse

King Norse Rave-on

Wouldn't mind that, seems to be the right way of thinking, hope our FO agree...

Ocho Cinco wants out of Cincy, and Stallworth looks likely to be available, anyone??

17. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

I am not sold on Campbell He wasn't the monster he was the year before and he seems to play soft. Seems like another Jerome Mcdougle in the making. If I were the vikings I'd go in FA and get a proven DE and take a WR or something with there first pick.

18. Flaxe1

Flaxe1 1st Stringer

I'd rather see the Vikings go out and draft someone to help out their young offense. Other than AP, they really don't have that much. Yes, Tavaris Jackson might develop into a decent QB. But their wide receiving group really needs to help him. In my opinion, I think they should draft some wide receiver, however, they should maybe trade down and take DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, or even James Hardy in the early 2nd round.

19. eaglesrule4ever

i hate jerome mcdougle i think the only reason campbell hasnt played up to his potential is because his coach has made him look before he attacks because they wanted him to stop the run more and that probably the reason why he hasnt lived up to his potential.

20. King Norse

King Norse Rave-on

The thing is, we invested in Troy Williamson (which didn't work and he looks like he's out) and then Aundrae Allison (who looks like a playmaker if we can fit him in somehow) and Sidney Rice (who appears to be a future stud), so I would be apprehensive about drafting and investing in another. TJack needs a reliable receiver to aid his progression, because Wade is alright working the middle from the slot but not much else, and Ferguson (if he makes it to training camp) is too slow to get open on a consistent basis.

IMO, we should be looking at how much #85 (you know who) would cost, and opening up the possibilities for Bryant Johnson, who is #1 material, and Dante Stallworth.

Cincy would probably want someone like Kyle Williams for #85, or a few high draft picks and a decent player to shore up their defense, and I don't think we should be degrading the one thing that has us competitive at the moment, but if the want this year's #1 rounder, then I would be inclined to give it to them. There are no receivers worth taking, and we don't need a productive draft class as much as we need some elite veterans.