Five Ways To Improve The NFL

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Feb 1, 2008.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Improve the NFL? Cut rookie pay, add a game ...

2. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

I like them all but the 17th game part. IMO

3. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

I simply wish they'd allow good, funny celebrations once again.

4. Buffgrandpa

Buffgrandpa Resident Pervert

Screw #4... we are awarding these guys huge money for being freaks of nature anyway.. I want to see a game where the biggest, baddest mutha's are playing with or without drugs.. Look the ones that use it right will be around for a long time, the ones the don't, die miserable deaths... so freaking what... you made more money in one year that any of us will make in a lifetime... I personally would like to see them do away with drug testing all together.... survival of the fittest.. and all that crap...

5. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I like all 5. Now quit talking about it and DO it! Oh and #6 should be lighten up on the celebrations a little bit. I don't care for the "look at me" ones but the team celebrations are cool.

6. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

#6: QUIT FREAKING FINING PEOPLE FOR CELEBRATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Buffgrandpa

Buffgrandpa Resident Pervert

Topless cheerleaders would be great too...

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

#6 Fire Goodell and bring back Pete Rozell and Tags.

9. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Like them all except the additional game, especially the rookie payment. They first had to prove themself, before they receive huge paychecks.
    Yeah, and I agree on the celebations

10. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I like em all....the celebrations thing doesn't matter so much to me......Lots of great players who scored lots of touchdowns that just tossed the ball to the ref...but then again....the Lambeau Leap would never have been if someone didn't start it. Let em have a little fun if they want too. The only celebrations that bug me are the ones that have to be brought to the field like Johnsons HOF coat or Owens sharpie. Wasn't that they weren't innovative or funny but way too thought out.

11. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

I like #1, because it's ridiculously true.

I'm in-between on #2.. I'd like it, cause more football to watch :) and it's still same ammount of games for the players, the 4th week of pre-season don't mean anything anyway.

#3 For Sure, do it big time.

#4.. Someone said let them be freaks of nature? The ones who abuse it, let them die a horrible death? Get the heck outta here with that BS. Theres a thing called "Youth" In the World, Me from Experience [DaleSr] Knows what it's like when one of your idols dies.. for sure, test them.. get the 'roids and all the other stuff not needed, out the game. I could see it happening for instances of injuries, like Rodney Harrison's case.. but using it to use it, p'z out.

#5.. good behavior for sure, but we don't need a league full of Jon Kitna's.. I think the NFL promotes good behavior great right now, but they need to for sure, let them celebrate.. it's ridunkyouless that the players can't have fun, after they light up the scoreboard.. the more creative, the more fun it is to watch.

12. seanq

seanq Starter

#1 is the most important of those by far with #3 being next. I'm not big on #2.

#4 is very important, but there are a lot of considerations in doing it right. Abuse of steroids, HGH, etc have significant negative long-term effects on health and is bad for competition and that should be made clear by league policy and enforcement. I agree with Inclulbus though - there should be a way for players to get limited access to the same tools the rest of use could have for rehabbing from serious injuries. Particularly when rehabbing from season-ending injuries. By implementing rigorous, broad range random and regular testing, it makes it possible to also allow players to make limited use those drugs in monitored programs while on IR or during off-season rehab.

I'd also add a #6 and #7.

6) Relax the restrictions on celebrations. I think using delay of game level penalties seems very appropriate. You can have any celebration you want, as long as it doesn't involve taunting or other unsportsmanlike conduct and doesn't delay the game. As long as it's quick and clean, let them have fun if they want.

7) Rework post-season seeding. I fully support letting the regular season records dictate post-season seeding. The current scheme for qualifying seems fine, but once qualified let the seeding be determined by record. This puts more value on a team playing out the season, even when they win their division early, and rewards 'wild-card' teams from strong divisions with a better record than a division winner from a weak division.

13. Flaxe1

Flaxe1 1st Stringer

With the whole celebrations thing, they need to loosen up on that. It's crazy to see a team get flagged 15 yards for doing a little team dance after a touchdown. With all that said, it leads to the officials being less strict with their penalties. Players get flagged for the tackiest reasons. You touch a QB after he threw a pass and boom, roughing the passer. Not even that, but all of the pass interference penalties. Those have gotten so ridiculous. Defenders can't even touch the receiver after five yards or they get penalized. I'd like to see them be able to play it out for the ball, not get an automatic X numbers of yards if the defender touches the receiver. I'm not saying to let the defender tackle the receiver in the open field, but not call every little contact between the guys. It's football, it's suppose to be physical.

With #1, I agree totally. It's not fair that some hot shot out of college is getting paid more than a player who has played in the NFL for over 10 years. Look at Russel, the guy held out because he wasn't paid enough! He should be god **mn happy for getting a chance to play in the NFL, instead of crying about getting paid more. Look at how that turned out, he started one game I believe. It's ridiculous.

With #2, I don't really understand what it's trying to say, 16 games outside the U.S? Oh well, more football for the fans.

And then with 3, 4, 5, I agree with those, not much to say about them.

14. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

If they just did #1, that would be great.

15. happ

happ PECAVI

I would go #1, and take it even further. I would allow a rule similar to the NBA's "Larry Bird" rule where you can sign your own free agents above the salary cap every couple years without a penalty to encourage continuity(good for fans and the teams), but still allow players to go to other teams through free agency, if they desire(good for the players). It could also be set up to where you can't go over the cap, but if you sign a player that was drafted by your team, their cap hit is only 60-85% of their actual salary, which gives their current team an advantage in resigning them. Again, this would encourage continuity, and still allow players that really want to change teams that opportunity.

16. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Didn't know about that Larry Bird rule. Interesting...