Amani Toomer Says He's Not Ready To Retire

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by ollysj, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Source: newsday.com

Amani Toomer finally has his Super Bowl ring, after 12 seasons with the Giants. He doesn't want to stop there.

Toomer is one of the very few elder statesmen on the Giants, but he told Newsday that he's not ready to turn in his helmet and let the young kids take over.

"I haven't thought about retiring at all," he said Thursday. "There are still some things I want to accomplish."

Toomer, who will be 34 in September, was instrumental in the Giants' run to Super Bowl XLII, but as has usually happened to him throughout his career, he was overshadowed in the end.

Plaxico Burress caught the Super Bowl-winning touchdown pass and David Tyree made the greatest catch in Super Bowl history, but Toomer was Eli Manning's top target against the Patriots, making six catches for 84 yards.

Toomer finished the postseason with a team-high 22 catches and three touchdowns, equaling his touchdown total from the regular season.

Read on here

2. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

I think he's got a few years left in him as a sure handed receiver. He's got good hands, not afraid to go across the middle and as he showed this year will still lay himself out to make the catch. Also, he is a good leader in the locker room for this young team. I would get rid of Shockey before I got rid of Toomer.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

He had a very productive post season and shined during the regular season as well. No reason he should retire...

4. Brooklyn

Brooklyn AKEKEKEKEKE!!!

5. 49erGenius

49erGenius Banned

I think he can still do it. It was just the injuries that slowed him down. He's a great WR for Eli to rely on, and Burress also. If Tyree keeps progressing, Eli is going to have some great reliable WRs to find.

6. ESKY

ESKY Starter

I wouldn't mind him back, his contract runs out next season, so at least one more year. A base salary of $3.2m is alot though. I wouldn't mind him restructuring it. But he is a work horse.

7. Flaxe1

Flaxe1 1st Stringer

There really is no reason for him to retire. Yeah, he won the Super Bowl and he's older than most WRs, but he can still play. He can still run routes well and catch balls. He's on a good team with a quarterback who's shown the football world that he can play when it matters most.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree Flaxe1!

9. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

and he just won a superbowl. so thats another reason to not retire

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Is Toomer a free agent?

11. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

No.