Bush Hopes To Rebound From Down Year

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Saintsfan1972, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Saints tailback Reggie Bush had a front row seat in New Orleans Arena on Monday night for Hornets guard Chris Paul's latest show-stopping performance.

The two young superstars live near each other downtown, and they have become friends over the past couple years. Bush said it has been great to watch Paul and the Hornets thrive this season.

But he also said it's put a lot of pressure on him, personally, to keep pace.

"Now I've got to come out and have an equal or better year," Bush said. "I've got to get the crowd chanting M-V-P."

Those kind of lofty expectations are nothing new for Bush, the former Heisman trophy winner, No. 2 overall draft pick and anointed savior of the Saints franchise.

But now, for the first time in his football life, Bush has hit a bump in the road. Last year, he suffered through his first losing season at any level. He missed the final four games with a knee injury, also a first. And he faced more doubt and criticism than ever before about his ability to succeed on the NFL level.

"I've had plenty of time to reflect," said Bush, who turned 23 earlier this month. "I missed the last four games. That really hurt me because I never really had to miss any games before. I had a lot of time to think and just go through what approach I want to take this year and how I want to go about this year and getting to that elite level of athletes."

Read More Here

2. epinesett

epinesett Special Teamer

Overrated!!!

He is an overrated player and will never be able to carry a team by his self.

3. flam253

flam253 Starter

not really if he was a shade darker he would be a much better player

4. Saintsfan1972

overrated is yet to be determined, but he was never supposed to carry the team by himself

5. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

With the value of the dollar where it's at, I don't know if he can. Besides, you can only serve two terms...

Oh, that Bush. I guess it wasn't a very good year for any Bush.

I don't think he'll ever reach the potential and hype people were selling before the draft, but he's still young and still has some damn good tools. He had a solid rookie year, and those swing passes and punt returns make me believe he can still be a star in this league.

6. Saintsfan1972

rofl...at first i like 'what the heck is burnout talking about....lol

agree 100%....that's the problem he'll NEVER reach the potential and hype...but very few ever do.

7. Marion Who?

Marion Who? Captain Stiff Arm

Followed by crunches...

I think a player of his talent will always be good, bu in a few years time, he'll lose his speed, and then it goes from there.

8. KJ3

KJ3 Terminally Slack-Jawed

maybe this isn't directed at you specifically....but i find this to be pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone was saying when he was drafted. reggie bush was supposed to walk on water, win a superbowl every month, feed the poor AND be better than mario williams/vince young could ever dream of. but none of that happened.

at least he knows he sucked last year...nothing is worse than an egotistical bust.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

losing mccalister was the biggest issue for bush last year.

10. Saintsfan1972

great points KJ....but the saints did not go into the draft looking for a RB we were set. when bush feel to us @ #2 they pretty much had no choice but to take him....hindsight is 20/20 but imagine the crap the front office would have taken if they passed on "the next gale sayers" (sarcasm)

that plus injuries and the problems begin

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

yep.

who do the saints play this year beyond the nfcs ?

12. Saintsfan1972

home
    packers
    vikings
    49ers
    raiders
    chargers(london)

away
    lions
    bears
    redskins