ESPN Keeper League Rules

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by seanq, Jun 11, 2008.

1. seanq

seanq Starter

OK, I have a question about the ESPN Keeper League rules as it relates to drafting. One of the leagues I play in is set for 4 keepers. Looking at the draft I see the first four rounds are reserved for keeper selections.

But what if I don't like 4 of my players that much? What if I only want to set 3 keepers? Do I just get skipped in round 4, or do I get to draft as usual? Wouldn't that be wicked unfair if most of the teams selected 4 keepers and one or two selected none and got to pick the cream of the crop? Or does it work out since most of the top notch, proven players are locked up as keeper selections already?

Hopefully someone here can give me the low-down. ESPN's rules description is woefully lacking. Many thanks!!!

2. seanq

seanq Starter

No one has any clue huh? Too bad. :(

3. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

ChrisBob was the commish of the league. I dont really know how the keepers work.

4. Fricker 4

Fricker 4 Crabtree fall to 10

im kinda wondering this also. In my league i have set up for hear at work, we have 2 keepers. I am the commish and still dont know this either. I personally think it should deal with what round you drafted them last year, but as far if you didnt want to keep all the keepers, i dont see why you shouldnt get the picks outta those who had the alotted amounts of keepers. This because your "keepers are keepers for a reason" means they are guys that are better than normal, your franchise players, if not all teams have a franchise player they should get the opportunity to find one.

5. seanq

seanq Starter

I suspect the same. We'll see though :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks

6. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

A keeper league on a message board was never a really good idea to begin with. There's no way we return all the teams. Heck, the commish isn't around much anymore either so who's gonna set up the admin controls like draft date, etc.

7. seanq

seanq Starter

True. But I'm in another ESPN keeper league also going into it's second year. So for me personally the question is still relevant.

8. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

if its setup as 4 keepers, you gotta have four keepers going into the draft
    after the drafts over you make whatever moves

otherwise it heckes up the entire draft

9. seanq

seanq Starter

Seriously?!? Yeah, this one is set up with 4 keepers. I only have two players I really want to keep. But your saying if I only have 2 keepers I wont get to pick in rounds 3 & 4, and even worse it might mess up the draft for everyone??! :(

Doesn't sound like a great design on ESPN's part.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

sounds like a nightmare beginning...

11. Fricker 4

that doesnt really make any sense. I think we still need to look into it. Honestly that guys opinion makes no sense. How would it mess up the draft. If you dont have a keeper, it would just skip to you in the 2nd or 3rd round. I have a feeling you will get to draft. If you didnt have the opportunity, then what would be the point in them having it say 1st and 2nd round reserved for Keepers.

Everyone would have keepers equally so you would think it would just start round 1 like that. I will look more into it .

12. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

if you have 4 keepers
    the first four rounds are keeper selections

you cant just say 'i dont like two of my guys' so instead ill only use the first two rounds for my keepers and take some other players in rounds 3/4
    its totally unfair for the other members of the league.

once you pick your 4 keepers, they're your guys until after the draft

13. Fricker 4

OK i emailed ESPN Fantasy FOotball, so as soon as i get a response i will paste it in here. I did not see it in their list of rules

14. Anidem

Anidem Official demonic presence

What you call the "Cream of the crop" in this keeper draft in reality are 5th rounders and below in a regular draft.

If you don't like players that much then just mention them being up for trade bait. What do you have and what are you looking for?

15. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

im in a 10 player keeper with IDP, run on fanball and I met all those guys in that league in the fanball forums, never had a problem with keepers or rules and everyone pays and I have never met anyone in the league outside of the forums, but the league has been successful for years now and only has lost 2 members over that time

12 team league
    10 keepers
    5 offensive
    5 defensive

no more than 2 at any position

only 2 players are allowed to be kept from players that were drafted in rounds 2-5

no player from round 1 can be kept

I am defending champ of that league

16. seanq

seanq Starter

Thanks Fricker!

17. Fricker 4

no prob still no email from espn yet.. but ill keep you updated.

18. Anidem

Anidem Official demonic presence

I really do not see what your issue is Fricker. Some reason you seem to think that you are missing out on something in the FA pile?

19. Fricker 4

dude i dont have a problem, I am keeping Adrian Peterson and Tomlinson., but there are some teams in my league that didnt do so well. And i might have to replace a team, thats why i was just lookin into this for him. I personally could care less i have my keepers.

besides in my league, i am only allowing 2 keepers out of 17 Roster Spots so there is more than just free agent trash. There will be tons of top players left including randy moss and others.

20. Fricker 4

ok i received this update finally from ESPN.

Thank you for contacting us.

If a Fantasy Football team owner chooses not to keep the maximum number
    of players allowed, they will draft a new player from the available
    pool. The available pool will not include any players designated to be
    a keeper. Assuming a four team league with a maximum of three keepers,
    where two owners choose not to keep three players, the draft will occur
    as follows:

Adam - first pick - keeping 3 players
    Brian - second pick - keeping 2 players
    Chris - third pick - keeping 3 players
    Dave - fourth pick - keeping 0 players

1st Round:
    Adam obtains first of three keepers
    Brian obtains first of two keepers
    Chris obtains first of three keepers
    Dave drafts a player from available player pool

2nd Round:
    Adam obtains second of three keepers
    Brian obtains second of two keepers
    Chris obtains second of three keepers
    Dave drafts player from available player pool

3rd Round:
    Adam obtains third of three keepers
    Brian drafts player from available player pool
    Chris obtains third of three keepers

4th Round (regular draft selections for all owners, snake begins):
    Adam drafts player from available player pool
    Chris drafts player from available player pool

5th Round ((regular draft selections for all owners):
    Chris drafts player from available player pool
    Adam drafts player from available player pool

Draft continues in snake order until all rosters are full.