Dallas Using Barber... At Fullback

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by mike oxlong, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Will he be an every-down back? Earlier this offseason reporters put that question to Dallas coach Wade Phillips concerning running back Marion Barber , and the answer was "yes." Today's report out of Dallas indicates that is true, though he may not be carrying the ball on each of those downs. The Cowboys are experimenting with using both Barber and rookie Felix Jones in the same backfield; one formation that has Barber as a fullback and Jones lined up behind him, and another where Barber is in a one-back formation and Jones flexes out, according to Pro Football Weekly.

Click Here to Read More

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Not a big deal...he's still the starting RB. Besides, he'll probably line-up at full back to catch passes in the flat and break a couple of LBs necks :icon_cheesygrin:

3. mike oxlong

I think it hurts his fantasy value based on his current ADP.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

nah some plays have him at FB w jones in the back feild then jones motions leaving MB back there wont hurt a bit d are just gonna to commit to one of them

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

FB is just a title...he could play the "FB" spot if Jones is in the backfield at the same time and still run the HB plays. It's a pony backfield and one of the guys has to assume that "title."

6. Attitude471

Attitude471 Misplaced Veteran

Exactly what I was gonna post; it's all in the title.
    I am anxious to see how the two of em work together. I just hope Barber has the stamina cause, unlike wade, I didn't see him being an "every down" back but time will tell.

7. mike oxlong

it still takes plays away from MB, with Jones playing more he is inevitably going to take some touches, taking advantage of Barber's brusing ability as a lead blocker. Just considering where he is going in some drafts, I just think he loses some value now that this is confirmed.

8. epinesett

epinesett Special Teamer

Hell if I care, I just hate the cowgirls all together!!!

9. Omen

he shared touches last year with JJ and i had him my league and 16-0 so i dont see a diffrene this yr to last

10. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

What he said

11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That's quality posting right there :icon_rolleyes:

12. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

13. mike oxlong

sharing touches is different than playing a position where he won't get touches at times are two different things.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

We all knew this was going to happen...I think he'll be overvalued in a lot of fantasy football drafts...

15. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

interesting
    but i dont like it

16. Omen

it doesnt bother me as long as we can confuse defenses and get points and win i could care less about fantasy points when it comes to winning

17. mike oxlong

exactly omen, it isn't the best news fantasy wise for barber, but it should Dallas' offense

18. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Sounds like what LSU did with Jacob Hester a lot.

19. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Barber isnt going to be lead blocking for anyone. Garrett puts players where they will cause matchup problems, he'd use 2 TE's in a 4 WR set, bring TO out of the backfield in shotgun, and line Barber up at FB with Julius at HB.

Its really nothing new, we did it some last year

Barber really shouldn't lose carries to Jones anyway's. Choice on the other hand, may steal some of his late carries

20. mike oxlong

I just wonder how he handles a completely different role. The fact that he will be facing fresh defenses on his majority of runs instead of second half defenses that have been worn down a bit is a question mark. Also, will this added punishment hurt him later in the year as he has never been a featured back.