Howard, Hamels, Lidge To Skip WBC

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Mike, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Cole Hamels, Brad Lidge and Ryan Howard of the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies have decided against playing in the World Baseball Classic, according to a published report Saturday. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the Phillies trio informed Team USA that they dont want to be considered for roster spots.

SOURCE Yahoo Sports

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Freaking Commies!

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

good, shouldnt be taking place during the season anyway.

4. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

not sure why they wouldnt wanna go. they just win the world series. would of thought they would wanna go cause of that

5. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

do you really blame them? i dont

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Nice to know they have their priorities in order.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

why go ? it's a stupid idea anyway. should be done in the off-season if at all. like we need to see baseball in november ?

8. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

well....... sorry to tell you that there is baseball fans out there

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

what does that have to do with anything ? this crap is going to interrupt MLB's season, as a baseball fan i think that is bullcrap.

10. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

I haven't looked at the dates, but isn't during spring training? Are they bumping back the season start date because of this?

Who cares if Hamels, Howard & Lidge skip the WBC...[sarcasm]they all stink anyways[/sarcasm]
    :icon_cool:

11. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Hamels tossed the most innings of any pitcher in the Majors if you include the playoffs. It was easily the most of his career. I might have had a panic attack if he or any other pitcher went. Howard I wouldn't have minded so much, especially since he's become a somewhat slow starter.

I think Romero will end up playing in the tournament for Puerto Rico, though. I'd rather not see any of our pitchers in the WBC, but with guys playing for teams outside of the US, it's a different story. His fans in PR don't get to see him play everyday and it's not like he's representing them for 162 games every year.